"September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month", he wrote in an Instagram post shared about 10 hours ago, explaining that every year, Amazon ties up with the American Childhood Cancer Organisation to raise awareness of childhood cancer, which is the second leading cause of death for kids in the USA between ages 4 and 14.
He has also been criticized for not contributing his fortune to philanthropy like other billionaires have, including Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Berkshire Hathaway's Warren Buffett. The following week, Bezos will speak at the Air Force Association conference in National Harbor, an appearance tied to his rocket company, Blue Origin. They call their project the "Bezos Day One Fund". Earlier this year, the company partnered with the Seattle nonprofit Mary's Place to build a permanent homeless shelter in its headquarters.
An Amazon spokesman didn't have details on who would run Bezos' new initiative, or where the group would be based.
So, Jeff, from one member of the human species to another, I implore you to not only engage in philanthropy but also try to understand how you can fix Amazon's problems to set a better example.
In addition to millions in cash, both non-profits have been granted prime real estate in Amazon building spaces to do their work.
"He's a pretty wonderful neighbour, him and [his wife] MacKenzie", said Mary's Place director Marty Hartman.
The foundation stepped up to help Seattle when the city worked to launch its universal pre-K program in 2014.
Bezos made the announcement Thursday in a tweet and a post on his Instagram account. How he would use that fortune for philanthropy has always been a point of discussion, especially after June 2017 when he solicited ideas on Twitter for ways he could make a difference.
Last year, he donated $33 million to fund scholarship for "dreamers", the name given to undocumented children of immigrants who face legal obstacles in attending college or university. This year, Gates also announced it was taking up systemic poverty in the U.S.
- MTHS alum, athlete serves on Seattle Storm coaching staff
- Feds take action against retailers in e-cigarette 'epidemic'
- Apple Launches 3 New iPhone Models with Improved Cameras, Bigger Screens
- RIP iPhone: Apple discontinues its flagships
- Overmars: Barcelona can try but De Jong not leaving in January
- ‘Storm of a lifetime’: Hurricane Florence barrels toward Carolinas as residents flee
- NASA Releases Footage Of Hurricane Florence And Her 'Mike Tyson Punch'
- East Coast Gasoline Prices Are Surging Ahead Of Hurricane Florence
- People are having ‘hurricane parties’ to distract themselves from Florence
- Bank of England's Carney extends term at helm to Jan 2020