Today the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) reports one new human case of West Nile virus (WNV), bringing the state's total to 31 so far for 2018. The risk of serious illness to most people is low.
The 10th human case of the virus was announced Friday in a man in his 60s from Essex County. "Even though it will be getting cooler in the evenings, it is still important to protect against mosquito bites during the fall months until there is a significant frost event", he continued. The repellent should have DEET (N, N-diethyl-meta-toluamide), permethrin, picaridin (KBR 3023), oil of lemon eucalyptus [p-menthane 3, 8-diol (PMD)], or IR3535 according to the instructions on the product label.
The recent weather patterns reinforce the need for all residents to protect themselves from mosquito bites.
Drain standing water in yards (old tires, potted plant trays, pet dishes, toys, buckets, etc.).
Most people infected with mosquito-borne viruses show no symptoms, however, people over age 50 years and children under the age of 16 are more likely to develop severe illness from the disease.
Wearing light-colored clothing to cover the skin reduces the risk of bites. Repellents keep the mosquitoes from biting you.
Make sure your doors and windows have tight-fitting screens to keep out mosquitoes. The infected mosquitoes can then transmit WNV to humans and animals.
While West Nile has not been found in Carver, a ban is in effect for all outdoor activities between dusk and dawn. About one in five people infected becomes ill within two to 14 days with symptoms including fever, headache, joint pain, muscle pain, and occasionally nausea and vomiting. There is no specific treatment for West Nile virus infection other than to treat symptoms.
- Pope Francis summons bishops from all over world for sex abuse summit
- Hurricane Florence threatens millions on US East Coast
- Hurricanes: Astronauts see Florence, Isaac, Helene storms from space
- Watch Apple iPhone Event Live Online
- Apple iPad Pro leaked renders suggest we can expect one sleek tablet
- Henry Cavill Is Done Playing Superman in DC Extended Universe
- Verizon 5G Home service coming to four cities from October 1
- What Serena Williams whispered to Naomi Osaka on podium
- 'Monster' Hurricane Florence Barrels Toward the Carolinas
- Hurricane Florence shifts south as Georgia and Carolinas hunker down