Saturday, 15 December 2018
Latest news
Main » Overmars: Barcelona can try but De Jong not leaving in January

Overmars: Barcelona can try but De Jong not leaving in January

13 September 2018

Ajax are well known for developing some fantastic young players, and have proven that they are willing to sell their star players to Europe's elite once they receive a satisfactory offer.

Barca had an offer for De Jong turned down over the summer, with Ajax chief Marc Overmars stating this week the Catalans' proposal fell well short of their valuation.

As per a report from Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo, Premier League outfit Tottenham Hotspur had an offer of €50 million rejected for Dutch midfield sensation and Barcelona target Frenkie de Jong.

The 21-year-old's stock is continuing to rise after a breakthrough season last year, but de Jong has also insisted he has no intentions on leaving Ajax for greener pastures yet.

The midfielder, who can also play in defence, made his senior worldwide debut in the current global break, and didn't look out of place against the world champions during the Netherlands' 2-1 loss to France on Sunday night.

De Jong, who made his senior worldwide debut for Holland earlier this month, played the full 90 minutes as they lost to France in the UEFA Nations League on Sunday evening. "Maybe someday I'll join Barcelona, but not this season", he said. I'm staying at Ajax.

"Barcelona may return for Frenkie in January".

"Frenkie is a great player, he did a good job and makes it easier for us by the way he plays football", Wijnaldum said.

Barcelona remain hopeful of landing their man with technical secretary Eric Abidal having held regular conversations with the player's representatives over the past few months.

De Jong moved to Ajax from Willem II in 2015, and represented Jong Ajax before stepping into the first team.

Overmars: Barcelona can try but De Jong not leaving in January