Matsuyama carded seven birdies against a lone bogey at the Aronimink Golf Club and sits at 10-under. "It turned into even par which is not what I needed to do today".
At the par-5 16th, Woods landed the ball five feet from the cup on his second shot and rolled in the eagle putt, then pulled off another back-to-back birdie run at the 18th and first holes, the latter from 13 feet.
McIlroy was at 8 under and still had two holes to play.
"The putt at the last I said to my caddy, Harry (Diamond), it reminded me of the putt I holed in Abu Dhabi earlier this year up the hill left to right", he said.
"I didn't make any putts", Woods said after a round that included 33 putts, six more than Thursday.
McIlroy's 69 saw him fall six places to equal seventh on nine under, while Woods is tied for 12th.
Schauffele also needs a good week to get to East Lake, though he would like to extend his season an additional week in France at the Ryder Cup. It looked like all the putts were going to go in, but they didn't go in today.
Matsuyama, who is now 28th on the FedEx Cup points list, needs to remain in the top 30 to advance to the Tour Championship.
"I guess I had good sort of good vibes and good memories and it was nice to see it go in".
On the Challenge Tour, Ardglass's Cormac Sharvin and Whitehead's John Ross Galbraith were the only Irishmen to make the cut in the Bridgestone Challenge at Luton Hoo Hotel, Golf and Spa.
On Friday at the BMW, he was the ultimate driving machine, hitting 11 of 14 fairways to eclipse his season average by more than 20 percent. "I lose strength and I lose power and endurance". Finau made seven birdies in his round of 64 and goes into the final 36 holes at Aronimink just five shots behind.
- Celtics Guard Arrested Friday Night on Terrifying Assault Allegations
- Storm and Mystics advance to WNBA Finals | State National Sports
- Bernie Sanders’ ‘Stop BEZOS’ Bill Targets Worker Pay At Amazon, Walmart
- Doubling of China trade tariffs 'ready to go'
- Serena Williams secures shot at history by reaching US Open final
- Rumours on iPhone XS Max
- Kim Declares His ‘Faith’ in Trump, Who Offers an Enthusiastic Thanks
- Observers say at least 4 killed in Syria's Idlib
- Cincinnati victims didn't have any known links to gunman
- Elon Musk Smokes Weed, Talks Electric Plane Designs on Joe Rogan Podcast