Pandya ended with figures of five for 28. The Karnataka man held the edge at second slip and cupped his ear: there was no questioning this catch. He also joined Harbhajan Singh to become the bowler to take fewest balls for a fifer.
Sharma was handed the ball as play restarted and he had both the openers - Alastair Cook (29) and Keaton Jennings (20) - in all sorts of trouble.
100 - James Anderson becomes only the second bowler to pick up 100 wickets against India in Tests after Muttiah Muralitharan.
Woakes looked the potential game-changer again, having Dhawan caught at slip for 35, trapping Rahul lbw for 23 and tempting Cheteshwar Pujara (14) into a hook on the stroke of lunch which went straight into the hands of Rashid on the boundary. Bumrah strikes and gets caught behind.
Pandya made sure that the off-spinner wasn't required at all in the first innings.
Yet Root did not have any cause for complaint and was perhaps just frustrated at getting out to Pandya because all cricketing logic and available evidence pointed to the catch being absolutely fine and the umpires spot on.
Rahane came to bat at number five after Chris Woakes had sent three Indian batsmen back to the pavilion at the score of 83.
At the time of filing the copy, England was reeling at 159/9 with Buttler at the wicket on 37*. His next three wickets came in the space of three balls across the 31st and 33rd over, during which he was on a hat-trick as well.
New Zealand's Mark Craig is the only player in the history of Test cricket to score a six on his first ball.
Anderson, who ousted Mohmmed Shami (3) and Bumrah (0) from back-to-back balls, has moved on to 556 Test wickets, just seven behind the leading seamer in the format, Glenn McGrath (563).
Together, the Indian skipper and his deputy added 159 runs for the fourth wicket to lay a solid foundation. With this, India posts 329 runs on the board.
After four back-to-back failures in England, Rahane finally looked good with the bat as he scored a fluent 81 runs and added 159 runs stand with Virat Kohli.
However, India have been outplayed in the first two Tests are a defeat away from losing the ongoing five-Test series.
England began the extended afternoon session after taking the morning's honours, thanks to three wickets each to Stuart Broad and James Anderson.
- Ford Mustang Cobra Jet is ready for the drag strip
- Carbs are good for you, Harvard study finds
- Gold and Satyameva Jayate collect Rs 45 crore on Independence Day release
- Deepika Padukone wasn’t invited to Priyanka Chopra’s engagement but Ranveer Singh was?
- White House lawyer Donald McGahn 'cooperating extensively' with Robert Mueller
- Look Wallabies front row named to face All Blacks
- Manigault Newman has more than audio recordings
- Fire in Italian bridge rubble hampers recovery efforts
- Nvidia: 'Substantial Decline' in GPU Sales from Crypto Miners
- Battlefield V's Battle Royale Mode Hinted at in New Trailer