So I just called it "Pete, '" she said. "Thank you, Aretha!" Not long after he shared the photo, Carrey reportedly found himself criticized by a number of fans who questioned why Franklin was seemingly depicted as white. Grande sang a rendition of Franklin's hit "Natural Woman".
Consequently, Aretha's musical innovation - soul music - opened the door to gospel-trained singers across America.
Charles Smith says he's flooded with the memories every time he listens to his Aretha Franklin's music at home with his family in Renton.
It rained on and off throughout the day, but damp conditions didn't stop residents from coming out to the church and showing their love for the Queen of Soul. She belonged to a generation of African American artists who migrated from the south during a time when segregation and Jim Crow law was still in effect, who then went on to participate in mainstream American culture. She helped us feel more connected to each other, more hopeful, more human.
I'm not sure what your Thursday entailed, but mine involved listening to Aretha Franklin songs on repeat while I worked in the office and read a few stunning tributes to the "Queen of Soul", who had died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 76.
Other than "Respect" - her powerful cover of the Otis Redding tune that became a feminist anthem and her calling card - Franklin had dozens of Top 40 singles, according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Aretha was also in this incredible promo for the Tigers back in 1990, and, like everything else, she sings Take Me Out to the Ballgame like nobody else ever could. LaBelle offered an olive branch to Franklin and her family after her death was announced on Thursday. "She'll be sorely missed by the family", said Tim Franklin, the singer's nephew. It means I'm using to the highest degree possible the gift that God gave me to use. "If Daddy could see me now!"
"When all the civil rights movement things were going on, she was right there, hanging there". As is customary, King didn't know that Franklin would be there to honor her.
In the case of Franklin, Trump was claiming "some type of bond" with the singer, Ritz said. We could not forget you if we tried.
NASA also paid a celestial tribute to Franklin from the moon.
- No more call recording on Android: Google
- Vigil held at Detroit church for Aretha Franklin
- How Aretha Franklin turned ‘Respect’ into the anthem of a generation
- Aretha Franklin tribute: Ariana Grande performs 'Natural Woman' on Fallon
- Liverpool centre-back moves to Cagliari on permanent deal
- Luke's Medical Center Among Best Hospitals
- Luke Shaw hails 'best feeling' of career after opening scoring account
- Akhilesh Yadav Shares Wedding Photo As He Remembers Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- More US sanctions for Turkey if they don't obey
- Eagles fans troll Patriots with billboard near Gillette Stadium