Shaw had been linked with a move away from Old Trafford in the summer but the full-back got himself in the shape of his life in preseason in an attempt to prove his doubters wrong.
"That's football management. I think football is changing".
While it may have been surprising to see Manchester United sign just one first-team player this summer, it was also surprising to see them keep hold of one player in particular - Anthony Martial.
Having returned from France's triumph in Russian Federation last month to intense media speculation about his future under United manager Mourinho, the 25-year-old Pogba was named skipper of a team that included debutant Fred.
Considering Jose Mourinho appeared to be engaging in a policy of calculated moroseness during pre-season, his first team sheet of the season was decorated in olive branches.
Despite aiming his ire at the United board, Mourinho did have some positive things to say about Paul Pogba, who was captain for the night, scored and put in a man-of-the-match performance after a preseason spanning four days and returning to Carrington on Monday.
"We changed the goalkeepers with Lee because Joel [Pereira, loaned to Vitoria de Setubal] is such a good young goalkeeper that he needs to play".
"Even if I forget the goal, it was a complete performance", said Mourinho of the left back's display. United sat back and invited Leicester on which led to Maddison having a shot on the United goal that was well saved by David De Gea and several other good attacks that led to nothing. They spent more money than us, so in the Premier League we must get used to teams with players of the same quality that we have.
"I want to be back in the England squad and involved in competitions like the World Cup".
The Red Devils took care of Leicester City at home 2-1, despite not looking all that sharp.
"It was not easy to manage the game from the touchline, but I told the players we had good periods, lots of glimpses of the type of football we wanted to play".
"I think it will be a hard season for everybody, but I think it's the last time we speak about it".
Luke Shaw had one of his best games in memories of him in a Manchester United shirt.
- Jalen Ramsey attacks 'trash' NFL QBs but admits Brady 'doesn't suck'
- Trump claims tariffs on foreign nations will rescue United States steel industry
- Husband arrested for murder in connection to disappearance of wife, children
- McCain Defense Bill Signed By Trump, But Leaves Out Name
- Tencent stuns with first profit drop in at least a decade
- Republicans defend Trump's decision to revoke Brennan's security clearance
- Banker Pushed $16M Manafort Loans Despite Risk, Jury Told
- Cech or Leno? Emery picks starter against Chelsea
- Akhilesh Yadav Shares Wedding Photo As He Remembers Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Russia says dollar’s days numbered as global trade currency