The Braves went on to win 5-2, but Acuna's chance to extend his three-game streak of leadoff homers was put on hold when Jose Urena hit him with his first pitch, triggering a melee that led to benches and bullpens for Atlanta and Miami emptying twice.
Braves LHP Max Fried, on the 10-day disabled list with a left groin strain, will make a rehab start for Triple-A Gwinnett on Friday - "quicker than we originally thought", Snitker said.
Snitker was demonstrably disturbed and was the catalyst for a second clearing of the benches shortly after the first scrum had begun clearing. The Marlins pitcher was ejected, as was Braves manager Brian Snitker for getting into it with Urena. However, having initially stayed in the game, Acuna's injured left arm forced him to leave the field in the top of the second inning, and it remains to be seen how much more time he misses.
The hot streak raised Acuna's batting average for the season to.288, and he entered Wednesday's game with 19 home runs, 43 RBI and a.922 OPS in 67 games.
Freeman, Snitker and other Braves players believe Urena meant to hit Acuna.
"That kid didn't deserve that". He took his position in left field and then walked off the field. Acuna left the game to undergo X-rays, which came back negative. He's hit three home runs. He was the first player to hit leadoff homers in three straight games since Brady Anderson led off with homers in four straight games in 1996 as a member of the Orioles.
Urena has a history of control problems. That made the 20-year-old rookie just the fourth Major League Baseball player to do so in a doubleheader, following the Red Sox' Harry Hooper (1913), the A's Rickey Henderson (1993) and the Orioles' Brady Anderson (1999).
- E-cigarettes not so safe but still better than cigarettes
- Jürgen Klopp: Liverpool can not be anything but the challenger
- Trump Homes In on 'the Fake News Media' as 'Opposition Party'
- Russia says dollar’s days numbered as global trade currency
- Whalen to retire from WNBA at season's end; ready to coach Gophers
- Arsenal boss Unai Emery told to make big change
- United States woman who shot herself receives face transplant
- Trump Revokes Security Clearance for Critic and Obama Official John Brennan
- McCain Defense Bill Signed By Trump, But Leaves Out Name
- Republicans defend Trump's decision to revoke Brennan's security clearance