Woods, the headliner in an all-star group with four-times major victor Rory McIlroy and defending champion Justin Thomas, got off to a horrific bogey, double-bogey start and spent the rest of his round undoing the damage to salvage a level-par 70.
Tiger Woods plays a shot during a practice round Tuesday at Bellerive Country Club.
We have had four separate winners of the PLAYERS (Webb Simpson), Masters (Patrick Reed), U.S. Open (Brooks Koepka) and Open Championship (Francesco Molinari). McIlroy said he would take this year, because that would mean he has giving himself chances to win.
Love's streak began with the 1986 PGA Championship at Inverness, and the 100th will come at this year's PGA at Bellerive. I haven't closed out those tournaments as I would have liked, but at least I'm putting myself in position, and that's all I can do. "I was fresh, in form, going to a place where if I worked up the leaderboard I could create a lot of noise".
"I've been blessed to play this long", Love said. I played in a lot of final groups and I haven't played well enough when it's counted.
"I have a sense of confidence and belief that I totally can get over the line and win one".
His wedge play, especially inside 100 yards, is a glaring weakness in his game and while he's working hard to improve, he feels his swing is close to where it was in 2014 with the proviso that his body is now different. But he fired his lowest final round in five years to take fourth in June at the PGA National and led in the British Open final round before sharing sixth at Carnoustie.
"Without a doubt, the next step in my career is to win in America, win a major". "Sometimes golf is just like that, and it's just a case of keep doing what you're doing and eventually it will happen". "He's shown over the past few years he's mentally very good, so I'm sure he won't have a problem".
18-time major champion Jack Nicklaus holds the record of most major appearances with 164 starts between 1957 and 2005, ahead of Gary Player (150) and Tom Watson (145).
Woods himself came back to competitive golf at the end of a year ago with low expectations and a desire simply to play pain-free which he believes he has now achieved.
"He's been a model and an idol for me growing up, and it's nice to see him back playing good golf, and hopefully we'll be paired together late on Sunday again this week".
- Omarosa claims Trump is a racist, used N-word on 'The Apprentice'
- Christopher Robin: Winnie the Pooh film denied release in China
- Senate Intelligence Committee Requests Julian Assange Testify in Russia Probe
- Samsung's new $1000 power-user phone reflects slowdown in hardware innovation
- Patriots To Rework Tom Brady’s Contract
- New Israeli strike in Gaza City wounds 18: ministry
- José Mourinho does not expect any Manchester United deadline-day signings
- 'Captain Paul Pogba an example to Manchester United dressing room' - Jose Mourinho
- Mina, Gomes deals confirmed as Everton complete Barca raid
- Cam Newton confronts Kelvin Benjamin over remarks