He wanted many more, as he pointed out numerous times on United's preseason tour, but as deadline day rumbled on there was still no news.
He did the first three or four days of training and first couple of matches against the American teams where he played 40 or 50 minutes.
Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has been one of the more outspoken critics of the shortened window with time running out for Spurs to make a single signing this summer.
Mourinho's transfer targets were not shared by the United board.
"I like my players". When the deadline passed at 5pm on Thursday there were no new arrivals at Old Trafford.
The two-time Champions League victor added: "At this point I'd just say we need to win".
Leicester's steadfast refusal to sell Harry Maguire scuppered any move for the England star, while Press Association Sport understands Bayern Munich did not want to allow Jerome Boateng to head to Old Trafford on loan. But Mourinho now says he is focusing on the players already at his disposal.
"My view is that first of all is hard for me to believe we finished second when I listen, when I read, not much but sometimes I do, it is hard to believe that we finished second because you [the media] are capable of making people that finish second look like they were relegated, and people who win nothing, finish below us, and you make them look like serial winners", Mourinho said.
Schmeichel was called into action again 10 minutes into the second half, going low and to his left to keep out a Matteo Darmian line drive from distance as both teams looked to up the tempo of the match after the break.
The 2018/19 English Premier League will kick-off tonight with 20-time English Premier League winners Manchester United facing 2015 Premier League winners Leicester City in the Theatre of Dreams in Manchester.
Ogden writes: "Not for the first time in his managerial career, the story has become about Mourinho rather than the club where he's now in charge; it is rarely a signpost toward a positive and successful future when that happens".
- Senate Intelligence Committee Requests Julian Assange Testify in Russia Probe
- Alexis Sanchez : "Manchester United Have To Sign "Big, Experienced" Players"
- Meteor shower of the year coming up
- Giants open preseason with sloppy 20-10 loss to Browns
- Klopp has great expectations Liverpool will deliver
- Four dead after shooting in Canada
- Kawhi Leonard of Toronto Raptors breaks silence to thank San Antonio Spurs
- Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes pose in Everton shirts
- Idris Elba may be next James Bond after Daniel Craig, producer hints
- Arsenal to consider bids for Danny Welbeck David Ospina and Mohamed Elneny