Wake Forest assistant basketball coach Jamill Jones has been charged with assaulting a tourist in Queens, according to a police report obtained by Sports Illustrated. One of its assistants has reportedly been charged in an attack on a NY tourist who later died. He was ordered to return to court on October 2.
Jones is accused of punching 35-year-old, Sandor Szabo, who is from Florida, and was in NY for a wedding in Long Island.
Police say Jones attacked digital marketing guru Sandor Szabo around 1:15 a.m. last Sunday in Queens, causing him to fall and smash his head on the sidewalk. Szabo fell and hit his head hit the pavement, losing consciousness, authorities said. According to multiple reports, Szabo knocked on multiple auto windows while looking for an Uber.
Jones punched the victim after he knocked on the window of Jones' auto.
Wake Forest assistant coach Jamill Jones was arrested Thursday and charged with assault.
► Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this.
Detectives told ABC New York station WABC-TV that Szabo had just left a family wedding, possibly while intoxicated, and was walking around banging on cars until he then pounded on Jones' SUV.
"The court made the proper ruling with the charges, and the District Attorney's office made the proper ruling with the charges", the lawyer, Alain Massena, said.
Jones is entering his second year on Demon Deacons' coach Danny Manning's staff. The Philadelphia native is a 2008 graduate of Arkansas Tech.
Szabo, also 35, was "super outgoing, friendly, and an incredibly smart businessman", said his company, at What If Media Group, based in Fort Lee, New Jersey.
- Benintendi's walk-off seals Red Sox sweep
- National Football League players resume protests during U.S. anthem
- Two Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike on northern Gaza Strip
- Michael Moore Calls Trump the Last POTUS in ‘Fahrenheit 11/9’ Documentary
- India vs England 2nd Test Day 1 live updates
- Boris Johnson's 'totally disgraceful' burka remarks condemned by community
- Deadly Lombok quake rattles tourists in Bali
- José Mourinho does not expect any Manchester United deadline-day signings
- North Korea slams USA for lacking ‘basic decorum’ in nuke talks
- Russia Considers Retaliation For 'Categorically Unacceptable' New U.S. Sanctions