Before he knew it, the shark leaped out of the water, with its jaws wide open, exposing its shark teeth.
The video shows the shark suddenly fly out of the water, headed straight for the researcher's feet, sending him jumping backward.
Breaching is when a shark launches itself out of the water, usually when it's hunting, in an effort to catch fast-moving prey, according to the Smithsonian Institution.
In the video of the incident, the boat's captain screams, "Holy crap!"
"Did you see that?" the researcher yells back. "It came right up and opened its mouth right at my feet", Skomal, who is the senior fisheries scientist for the state Department of Fish and Game and leads the Massachusetts Shark Research program, exclaims.
Cape Cod has become an important aggregation site for the sharks, allowing viral research opportunities, particularly the fitting of locator tags to track their movements. It all happened right under Skomal's feet.
Separately in MA, a great white shark, estimated to be 15-feet in length, attacked a seal in Cape Cod, sending surfers scrambling to shore.
The conservancy said scientists received multiple reports of breaching white sharks from fishermen and boaters - but encounters are rare.
The Harbormaster's Office says the White shark sighting was confirmed around 3 p.m. off Manomet Point.
- UK's May says Boris Johnson should apologize over burqa comments
- Manafort defense asks Gates about additional extramarital affairs
- Manchester United target Willian rules out Chelsea departure
- Aftershock rocks Lombok in Indonesia as death toll rises
- TV's Live-Action Batwoman Is Ruby Rose
- Everton Complete Triple Deal For Bernard, Mina, and Andre Gomes
- Red Dead Redemption 2's New Gameplay Trailer Busts Morgan Out of Jail
- Keeper Kepa completes big money move to Chelsea
- Perseids 2018: Where and how to watch the dazzling meteor shower
- Manafort defence attorneys rip into star prosecution witness