"It was pretty normal there would be one season when we would spend more money", Klopp said.
They did finish a distant 25 points adrift of Pep Guardiola's magnificent City side, however, and Klopp's men will have to make drastic improvements this season, if they are to have any chance of toppling the Citizens.
"You ask me about the gap with City".
Jürgen Klopp has confirmed that the scan Fabinho had on a knock he picked up is clear and that the Brazilian should be fit to face West Ham while Dejan Lovren is unavailable. We are the ones that have to do more, to fight more, to do all these things.
He's already shown in Liverpool's pre-season friendly against Napoli that he has fantastic vision for a goalkeeper and brings more to the team than his abilities in the 18-yard box. We know that. We have to be more clinical in the right moments, we have to be more aggressive in the right moments.
Klopp, whose longtime number two Zeljko Buvac left abruptly towards the end of last term, fell back one of his favourite analogies saying Liverpool were Sylvester Stallone's fictional boxer Rocky Balboa rather than his Soviet opponent Ivan Drago.
At a press conference, the Chilean told reporters: "At some moment in the season you have to play Liverpool away, so better to start with them".
Paul Merson believes Liverpool FC need to sign another centre-half to finally win their first Premier League title.
"It is hard for us and the other teams too".
Liverpool brought in four new signings this summer, and many are backing them to challenging for the title.
"We can improve our offensive and defensive play but it is nothing to do with City", he said.
"We have to try to reach the highest, that is always my expectations".
"We are still Rocky Balboa and not Ivan Drago, we are the ones who have to do more and fight more, that must be our attitude".
"The league is exactly the same".
"How could we say we have to be champions of the league, what about United or the other clubs?"
- Dez Bryant on Browns visit: WR says he's coming to Cleveland
- Chelsea starlet being eyed by Premier League giants as deadline edges closer
- Wake Forest coach sends condolences to dead tourist's family
- Malaysia ex-PM Najib charged with money laundering
- National Football League players resume protests during U.S. anthem
- New Israeli strike in Gaza City wounds 18: ministry
- Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes pose in Everton shirts
- José Mourinho does not expect any Manchester United deadline-day signings
- Cam Newton confronts Kelvin Benjamin over remarks
- Meteor shower of the year coming up