After finishing a franchise-worst 3-13 in 2017 and completely overhauling their front office and coaching staff, the New York Giants returned to the field on Thursday night against the Cleveland Browns.
Despite playing just two drives, Tyrod Taylor gave us plenty of good things to talk about.
Mayfield was up next and, following a three-and-out, settled in on his second series, finding Rashard Higgins with a pretty back-shoulder throw on the sideline for a 26-yard gain.
Even tight end Evan Engram, the Giants" first-rounder in "17 who has been much maligned as a run blocker, held his own on the play, teaming with second tight end Rhett Ellison to support Omameh. He then almost found controversial rookie Antonio Callaway, in the lineup only days after receiving a marijuana citation that he didn't immediately inform the Browns of, on a deep shot that Callaway couldn't locate. On a critical third down in the fourth quarter, Mayfield hooked up with wide receiver Antonio Callaway for the touchdown strike.
Mayfield finished a stellar evening 11-of-20 for 212 yards and two touchdowns.
As for the Giants, the anticipation about No. 2 pick Saquon Barkley is already at a fever-pitch.
50 - The Browns, who expect to run the ball quite a bit in Todd Haley's offense, only had 50 yards rushing on 33 carries. If the Giants can begin opening up running lanes between the tackles, it will be a long season for opposing defenses.
- Indonesia hit by powerful aftershock days after 319 died in quake
- West Brom surprise contenders for Carlos Sanchez
- Deadly Lombok quake rattles tourists in Bali
- Christopher Robin: Winnie the Pooh film denied release in China
- North Korea slams USA for lacking ‘basic decorum’ in nuke talks
- Cam Newton confronts Kelvin Benjamin over remarks
- Boris Johnson's 'totally disgraceful' burka remarks condemned by community
- Arsenal to consider bids for Danny Welbeck David Ospina and Mohamed Elneny
- Aston Villa want to sign Robert Snodgrass for another spell
- Two Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike on northern Gaza Strip