At least four people are dead after an early-morning shooting in a residential area of Fredericton.
- Fredericton Police (@CityFredPolice) August 10, 2018Please continue to avoid the area of Brookside Drive between Main and Ring Road. It was not immediately clear what caused the shooting.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offered his condolences via Twitter, and said that the government is "following the situation closely".
A later one added: 'An incident has resulted in at least four people killed. The local police have also tweeted asking the local population to avoid calling the police station directly due to a high volume of calls.
They later asked residents to keep their doors locked as a safety precaution. "During this hard time, our thoughts are also with the courageous women and men on the front lines working to keep us safe", he said.
It is not yet clear whether police are searching for any other suspects at this time.
A worker at a nearby Tim Horton's coffee and doughnut shop revealed staff had locked the doors and are keping customrs insid. She said she heard a "crack, crack, crack, four in a row" in rapid succession. There is no official word on how many people have been hurt. To see that there's actually fatalities is pretty extraordinary for this area.
- Recording of Devin Nunes at private McMorris Rodgers fundraiser makes national headlines
- Mina, Gomes deals confirmed as Everton complete Barca raid
- National Football League players resume protests during U.S. anthem
- Christopher Robin: Winnie the Pooh film denied release in China
- North Korea slams USA for lacking ‘basic decorum’ in nuke talks
- José Mourinho does not expect any Manchester United deadline-day signings
- Alexis Sanchez : "Manchester United Have To Sign "Big, Experienced" Players"
- Melania Trump's parents become U.S. citizens
- Russia Considers Retaliation For 'Categorically Unacceptable' New U.S. Sanctions
- Arsenal to consider bids for Danny Welbeck David Ospina and Mohamed Elneny