Zouma subsequently missed almost one season of football before he made his return to the pitch.
After a serious injury, Zouma spent last season at Stoke City and endured a hard season as the Potters suffered the ignomy of relegation to the Championship.
Zouma will become Marco Silva's seventh signing this summer. A number of defenders have been linked with the Premier League heavyweights as Jose Mourinho aims to solidify his backline for the upcoming season.
Chelsea's stance over the interest from Manchester United gives Everton a major boost to land him on a loan deal, with the Toffees going into overdrive on deadline day. Mourinho has signed only three players this summer - Fred, Diogo Dalot and Lee Grant - and if this deal goes through, it appears he finally has reason to smile.
Usually in cases such as this clubs can approach the Premier League and request more time to complete the deal, if they can provide all the necessary paperwork and prove that the completing the deal is just a matter of dotting i's and crossing t's.
- Recording of Devin Nunes at private McMorris Rodgers fundraiser makes national headlines
- Arsenal to consider bids for Danny Welbeck David Ospina and Mohamed Elneny
- Paul Merson claims Liverpool FC need key signing to win the title
- Benintendi's walk-off seals Red Sox sweep
- Incredible 'firenado' pierces the sky as firefighters battle factory inferno
- Two Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike on northern Gaza Strip
- Melania Trump's parents become U.S. citizens
- Saudi Arabia to suspend Toronto flights as spat with Canada continues
- Christopher Robin: Winnie the Pooh film denied release in China
- Manchester United, Tottenham and Chelsea All Ready For Big Signings