"For many years, nations from Russian Federation and China to North Korea and Iran have pursued weapons to jam, blind and disable our navigation and communications satellites via electronic attacks from the ground", Pence said.
"As their actions make clear, our adversaries have transformed space into a war-fighting domain", he said.
While the establishment of a new military service would require legislation to be passed by Congress, Pence's strong endorsement could signal new momentum for the creation of the first new branch of the armed forces since the Air Force was established in the 1940s.
Currently, there is a 30,000-person, three-star space command that's under the jurisdiction of the Air Force, said ABC News.
"China and Russian Federation have been conducting highly sophisticated on-orbit activities that could enable them to maneuver their satellites into close proximity of ours, posing unprecedented new dangers to our space systems", he said.
A new Space Operations Force will train, promote, and retain personnel to include engineers, scientists, intelligence experts, operators, strategists, and others.
For the Air Force, the realignment could mean surrendering control of existing space assets, satellites, launch sites and other ground operations to the new command.
Pence's remarks was timed to coincide with the release of a Pentagon report outlining the steps needed to create a Space Force, something it does not have the power to do on its own.
Late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel posted a Space Force recruitment video that aired on Jimmy Kimmel Live along with the message, "Enlist in the #SpaceForce NOW!"
Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said this week that Pence is Trump's "point man" for Space Force, and Pentagon officials are working closely with his office.
Editor's note: This story was updated August 9 to include details of the White House webcast for Pence's Space Force speech.
"Creating a new branch of the military is not a simple process", Pence noted. Several steps must be taken to establish the space-centered military branch. "It's not enough to have an American presence in space, we must have dominance". "But history proves that peace only comes through strength".
Hawaii senator Brian Schatz branded the Space Force a "silly but unsafe idea" as he instead urged the expansion of the "Medicaid" health programme.
- Gator grad: Aggie takes graduation photos with 14-foot alligator
- Manafort defense asks Gates about additional extramarital affairs
- Perseids 2018: Where and how to watch the dazzling meteor shower
- Jose Mourinho 'not confident' of deadline day signings
- Baby among three killed in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza
- Manchester United fail with Diego Godin approach
- Margot Kidder's daughter makes mental health appeal
- Playing two spinners at Lord's tempting, says Virat Kohli
- Red Dead Redemption 2's New Gameplay Trailer Busts Morgan Out of Jail
- Britain 'Ready To Ask' Russia To Extradite Suspects In Skripal Poisonings