Trump sparked outrage by accepting Putin's word over that of his intelligence agencies at a Helsinki news conference.
Rand Paul to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin. But no new meeting has been scheduled and the White House said it was delaying a Putin visit to Washington until 2019, by which time it said it expects special counsel Robert Mueller's criminal investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 USA presidential election to be completed.
There has been no indication that a Putin-Paul meeting will take place.
Paul, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, had planned this Russian Federation trip before the Trump-Putin summit in Helsinki, Finland last month, the source said.
While Trump obliged the senator and wrote the letter, the White House said the idea that Trump asked Paul to deliver the letter to Putin on Trump's behalf is not true.
Christopher J. Gagin, who revealed he was the Republican Party chairman from OH who resigned after the Helsinki summit, pointed out that Trump defended Putin's denials of Russian meddling in the 2016 election.
The White House pushed back against Sen. "In the letter, the president mentioned topics of interest that Senator Paul wanted to discuss with President Putin".
But Peskov said the Kremlin had not familiarized itself with the contents.
Paul, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, has continued to meet with Russian officials in Moscow this week along with visiting the USA embassy.
Paul remained supportive of Trump following the US President's performance during a news conference with Putin in July.
On Monday, Sen. Paul announced that Russian lawmakers have agreed to visit the U.S. Capitol, which would be the first time in three years that a Russian delegation did so.
Last week, Trump's national security team said Russian Federation is behind "pervasive" attempts to interfere in the November midterm elections, rejecting denials that Putin made directly to Trump.
Paul, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, later announced his own trip to Russian Federation, saying that he hoped to better relations between the two countries.
A reported text of the draft bill published Wednesday sent Russia's ruble to lows against the dollar last seen in April.
- Tesla board confirms it will consider Musk's privatization plan
- Fallout 76 Won't Be On Steam, New Beta Details Revealed
- Samsung starts producing high-capacity 4-bit SSD
- Meghan Markle has reportedly planned a 'secret United States reunion' with her dad
- A Hurricane Could Collide With Hawaii's Erupting Kilauea Volcano
- Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima split
- Google Pixel 3 XL Production Unit Leaks
- Thomas steps out of the shadow of Spieth as PGA champion
- Russia: Saudi Arabia has right to reject Canada's interference
- USA is 'unreliable', Rouhani says in meeting with North Korean FM