Forecasters note that hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 40 miles from the center, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 115 miles.
Hurricane Hector is tracking for a close call with Hawaii's Big Island, parts of which are still coping with destruction from the ongoing eruption of the Kilauea volcano.
A growing hurricane absorbed a tropical storm off Mexico's Pacific Coast today and a new subtropical storm formed in the northern Atlantic, though none were projected to make landfall.
The center of Hector will pass about 200 miles south of the Big Island on Wednesday, according to the latest forecast from the Central Pacific Hurricane Center in Honolulu.
The storm will continue moving west after it passes by Hawaii. It was located about 470 miles east-southeast of South Point, Hawaii. Mexican officials discontinued a hurricane watch from Punta San Telmo in Michoacan state to Playa Perula in Jalisco state, though Ileana still could cause heavy surf and rains in that area.
The tropical Atlantic remains cooler than normal and there is a relatively high potential that a weak El Niño develops in the next several months. Depending on its ultimate track, the storm could bring thunderstorms, gusty winds and increased surf to parts of the island and could also cause unsafe rip currents off the east- and south-facing beaches.
Meanwhile, Subtropical Storm Debby formed far out over the north Atlantic, but it was expected to be a short-lived storm.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration will release its updated mid-season hurricane forecast on Thursday.
- Musk says going private would free Tesla
- ‘Mighty Ducks’ star arrested for public intoxication
- Rick Gates admits to committing crimes with Paul Manafort
- Ruby Rose is The CW’s Batwoman!
- Protesters paralyze parts of Bangladesh after a speeding bus kills two students
- Dead baby found floating near Brooklyn Bridge
- Johnny Depp's Biggie Smalls Movie 'City of Lies' Pulled From Release Calendar
- Democrat O’Connor has lead in early OH returns
- Liverpool wrap up impressive preseason with win against Torino
- Unveiling of provincial buck a beer scheme expected today