A tropical storm warning is still in effect for the Big Island as Hurricane Hector moves westward still as a strong Category 3 storm, bringing the threat of monster surf and strong winds on Wednesday.
The volcano is in the middle of a three-month eruption of lava which has been spewing since May and has covered 13.4 square miles of the island's surface.
So far, Kilauea's eruption has been ongoing for 93 days straight and more than two dozen volcanic fissures have opened up.
According to geologist Janet Babb, of the US Geological Survey, that surpassed eruptions from the lower zone of several weeks and 88 days recorded in 1840 and 1955 respectively.
As of 5 p.m. Sunday local time (11 p.m. ET) Hurricane Hector was about to cross into the Central Pacific Basin as a Category 4 storm, the National Hurricane Center said.
State officials urged residents to take precaution and prepare for the storm.
The island will see a major impact from Hector, as hurricane force winds extend up to 40 miles from the center and tropical storm force winds 115 miles.
"Hector is our first hurricane this year", said Tom Travis, administrator of Hawaii Emergency Management Agency, in a press release on Friday.
Some fluctuations in intensity are expected overnight into Monday, followed by gradual weakening Monday night through Wednesday.
Mayor Harry Kim said the session was aimed at getting staff familiar with the background regarding the storm, which was approaching the 140-degree longitude boundary into the Central Pacific.
A tropical storm watch is in effect for the Big Island of Hawaii due to the the chance for winds of 39 miles per hour or stronger on Wednesday.
Hurricane Hector is located about 1,360 miles from South Point, located on the Big Island of Hawaii.
- Alex Jones ‘patriots’ rush to App Store to download Infowars app
- Pentagon bars troops from using fitness trackers & geolocation services
- Subtropical Storm Debby forms in north Atlantic
- Unveiling of provincial buck a beer scheme expected today
- Pogba Has Already 'Agreed Terms' On £380000 Deal With Barcelona
- Russia: Saudi Arabia has right to reject Canada's interference
- Carrie Underwood Pregnant: Confirms She’s Expecting 2nd Child With Mike Fisher - Congrats
- Sen. Rand Paul invites Russian lawmakers to Washington
- Scientists baffled by ‘rogue planet’ outside the solar system
- Fallout 76 Won't Be On Steam, New Beta Details Revealed