Manchester United switched their attention towards England global Harry Maguire instead, but were priced out of a move by Leicester City, who were demanding in excess of £65 million for the 25-year old.
United have been long-time admirers of the Belgian defender, who has long made clear of his desire to leave Spurs.
This summer the club have also since signed Clement Lenglet from Sevilla, a move that would make first-team opportunities for Mina even more hard.
COMPARISON: Alderweireld vs Maguire - Who Should Man United Sign? According to a report in the Mirror, Alderweireld will be joining United for £60m.
Mourinho has told the Old Trafford board that he needs a high-class centre-back with experience after signing Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof - and now it appears the Portuguese has finally got his man after playing the waiting game.
There is a belief among United staff though that a bid for the 25-year old should have gone in before his impressive World Cup campaign with England. The towering defender is regarded as one of the best in his position in the Premier League, despite going through a hard 2018-19 season. Although he will have to fight for a place given United's resources in central defence.
- Scientists Just Received a Massively Powerful Signal Coming from Deep Space
- Thomas warms up for US PGA with win at WGC-Bridgestone
- 'Facts of Life' star Charlotte Rae reportedly dead at 92
- Oil falls 2% on rising supply, concern about trade tensions
- Unlike Trump, first lady has kind words for LeBron James
- Moonves of CBS mum on misconduct allegations
- Ryanair strike: Airline proposes third-party mediator for pilots union talks
- Johnny Manziel throws INT on his first CFL pass
- Google Maps Starts Sharing Phone Battery Life When Users Share Their Location
- UN Yemen envoy to invite warring parties to Geneva on Sept