Since Friday at 5:00 p.m., 57 Chicagoans have been gunned down.
By comparison, at least seven people were killed and 32 were wounded during the long Memorial Day weekend, which is often one of the most violent weekends of the year for the city, the Chicago Tribune reported.
"They take advantage of that opportunity and they shoot into a crowd, no matter who they hit", Chicago police chief of patrol Fred Waller said. In that incident, three people were standing in front of a residence when a shooter exited a auto and opened fire, according to officials.
Of those who reported an age, the victims were between 11 and 62 years old.
The Tribune, citing its own data, said that gun violence in Chicago in 2018 has been well above recent years except for the previous two years. The shootings occurred on the West Side, where 25 people were shot in separate attacks between midnight and 6:50 a.m., and the South Side, police said. CPD also says it has implemented a data-driven policing strategy that helps police predict crime before it happens so they can put officers in the right places at the right time. The victims were all hospitalized in stable condition, according to WLS-TV. And Giuliani credited McCarthy with being among the people behind a New York City program that reduced murders there. A 17-year-old girl was shot in the face and pronounced dead on the scene. "They underscore the real problem - violent criminals who use illegal guns in some of our communities without the fear of consequences of their actions". At one point, police said Stroger Hospital had been placed on trauma lockdown, ABC7 reports.
"Over the past 24 hours, Stroger's trauma unit received an unusually high volume of patients".
"By no means do these statistics show that we have a victory", Waller said.
For many right-wingers, Chicago has become a symbol of Democratic hypocrisy on gun reform, since the city is run by a Democratic mayor, Rahm Emanuel, and is home to a famous liberal party machine.
- Tampa police: 4-year-old girl dead after being thrown into river
- Citi Open: Murray Breaks Down After Reaching Quarters
- Unlike Trump, first lady has kind words for LeBron James
- Rio Ferdinand Names The Best Striker In The Premier League
- Iran: President Rouhani To Appear Before Parliament To Defend Economic Agenda
- 'Facts of Life' star Charlotte Rae reportedly dead at 92
- Nursing home escapees found at heavy metal festival
- 11 kids removed from New Mexico compound
- Klopp reveals concern about Liverpool defence ahead of league’s opening match
- Indra Nooyi to step down as CEO and Chairman of PepsiCo