The Central Pacific Hurricane Center forecasts that Hector will continue to travel toward the WNW at an increased forward speed through Tuesday, followed by a westward motion Tuesday night through Friday.
In the latest advisory, the National Hurricane Center believes the center of Hector will remain just south of the Big Island.
Hurricane Hector strengthened to a Category 3 hurricane Friday with maximum sustained winds of 120 miles per hour. It was centred about 1,010 miles (1,625 kilometres) east-southeast of Hilo, Hawaii, and was moving west at 15 mph (24 kph).
Hector will bring increased surf and a high risk for unsafe rip currents to east- and south-facing beaches of the southernmost islands, especially the Big Island and Maui during next week. Hector related weather forecast impacts for other islands will need to wait until the time period gets closer. "This remains a good time for everyone in the Hawaiian Islands to ensure they have their hurricane plan in place".
State officials urged residents to take precaution and prepare for the storm.
Two new tropical storms were strengthening off Mexico on Monday and both were projected to reach hurricane force while marching northwestward parallel to the coast, bringing heavy surf.
Hawaii's Big Island already is dealing with another natural disaster - the eruption of Kilauea Volcano in the southeast. Kilauea volcano continues to erupt in Hawaii, and now the islands are in the path of a category 3 hurricane.
- Iran: President Rouhani To Appear Before Parliament To Defend Economic Agenda
- Facebook's Tinder-like dating service leaks out, see it here
- Nursing home escapees found at heavy metal festival
- First commercial crew astronauts named for SpaceX and Boeing flights
- Virat Kohli The Inspiration Behind Sam Curran's Match-Saving Fifty At Edgbaston
- Saudi Arabia freezes Canada trade ties, recalls envoy
- Rio Ferdinand Names The Best Striker In The Premier League
- Former Man Utd Attacker Wants Chelsea Move
- Manafort's accountants to take spotlight in trial's third day
- VENEZUELA: President Survives Assassination Attempt, Blames Colombia And US Expats In Florida