After hearing that Manziel took first team reps at Alouettes practice on Monday, you can't help but feel for those Ticats fans who were 100% behind "Johnny Football".
Manziel did not play in his first game in a Montreal uniform.
That didn't stop Alouettes fans from chanting for the former Heisman Trophy victor, and then-starting quarterback Vernon Adams was furious. On July 22, the Tiger-Cats traded Manziel (and offensive linemen Tony Washington and Landon Rice) to the Alouettes in exchange for defensive end Jamaal Westerman, wide receiver Chris Williams and two first-round draft picks (2020, 2021). And it's interesting to hear those from a CFL quarterback, especially one who wasn't lighting up the league with his own play; Adams completed just 15 of 28 passes (53.6 percent) Thursday for 217 yards with no touchdowns and an interception, so he doesn't exactly have a whole lot of room to wonder why fans were chanting for his backup. "I think we have two very good quarterbacks but we're going to give the nod to John for this ballgame".
Manziel dressed for Montreal's 44-23 loss last week to Edmonton but didn't play. "It was a lack of respect and it affected me", he added.
"I've tempered my expectations to not reach too high", he said. Montreal is 1-5 and they've been practically lifeless on offence this season.
For Manziel, Friday's game against the Tiger-Cats will continue a comeback season that started less then four months ago.
Manziel was selected 22nd overall by the Browns in the 2014 NFL Draft, but his career was derailed by off-field issues. "We got to see that he was a tremendous athlete playing quarterback, the most important thing that I took out of it was when he was able to extend plays, he was extending plays with his eyes down the field to make a pass down the field instead of being a runner", Reed said. That's what I want to do.
- Suspected Daesh militants take hostages in Afghanistan's Jalalabad
- Even at $1 Trillion, Apple May Be Undervalued by Half
- Man City, Chelsea lock horns in Community Shield
- Molson Coors to make cannabis-based drinks in Canada
- Samsung Accidentally Publishes Galaxy Note 9 Promo Video
- China Plans Tariffs on $60 Billion of Imports to Counter Trump
- NASA Announces Crew For First Commercial Space Flights
- Samsung remains at the top in Q2 global smartphone rankings
- Tim Allen's character on 'Last Man Standing' won't be talking about Trump
- Demi Lovato Reportedly Agrees to Rebab