"The importance of Huawei overtaking Apple this quarter can not be overstated", said Ben Stanton, a senior analyst at Canalys, which also reported the shift in quarterly market share. Its not just Samsung though, most companies relied on discounts and deals.
According to multiple analytics firms, those numbers were more than enough to propel Huawei past Apple and into the number two spot as the second-largest smartphone brand in the world by devices sold.
Samsung have been leading the market in smartphone production, but according to industry analysts, Apple have now been overtaken by Chinese manufacturer Huawei as the second most popular smartphone makers in the world. Samsung captured 34 percent share of the premium segment while Apple 14 percent, its lowest ever. The Cupertino, California-based company introduces new phones late in the year, then usually sees sales climb in the fourth and first quarters.
China and the U.S. are also embroiled in a trade dispute with both nations imposing tariffs on billions of dollars worth of goods and fighting over technology and patents, which analysts said creates significant uncertainty for all of the major smartphone brands.
"Apple had a weak second quarter as demand for its iPhone 8 and iPhone X begin to taper off due to seasonality and challenges in terms of pricing post duty increase". Despite this, the company still managed to grow 5.1% over previous year as it continued its expansion into other markets such as the Middle East & Africa.
Reith noted, however, that Huawei and Samsung's dominance may be short-lived.
IDC's data say Huawei's shipments during the second quarter of 2018 hit 54.2 million units.
In January, Huawei failed to clinch a smartphone deal with AT&T to start selling its smartphones in the USA, according to the Wall Street Journal. Samsung, on the other hand, remained the undeterred market leader with an overall shipment of 71.5 million units.
"Major Chinese brands like Oppo, Vivo, Huawei are now focusing on increasing their average selling prices (ASPs) by bringing in features like artificial intelligence, bezel-less displays, dual cameras and innovative industrial designs in the affordable premium segment", explained Research Analyst Shobhit Srivastava.
- Bayern rule out Boateng switch for Martial
- White House press briefing
- Thousands of firefighters struggle to contain giant blazes in California
- Reddit suffers data breach
- USA may slap China with higher tariffs, Beijing vows to retaliate
- Chelsea offer new £290000-a-week contract to N'Golo Kante
- Korea Remains Could Be Army Troops Who Fell at 'Frozen Chosin'
- Tim Allen's character on 'Last Man Standing' won't be talking about Trump
- China says foreigners should not interfere in Cambodia after election
- Trump Administration Proposes Freezing Obama-Era Vehicle Fuel Economy Requirements