The teens were attempting the "hot water challenge", a viral video trend that has already proven to be deadly. "I'm just blessed that he's still breathing".
Kyland Clark, of Indianapolis, says he and his friends were watching YouTube videos at one of their houses last week when they came across a trend: fellow teens scalding themselves with water. "My skin just fell off my chest, and then I looked in the mirror and I had skin falling off here and on my face".
What is the "hot water challenge?" In fact, a child already died past year after drinking boiling water as part of the Hot Water Challenge. One of the boys at the sleepover heated up water in the microwave and poured it on Nickolas Conrad's neck, his mother told KARK.
The prank left Kyland in excruciating pain with second-degree burns all over his body, that required a week of treatment in hospital.
When 10-year-old Wesley Smith suffered second- and third-degree burns while trying to replicate a "Hot Water Challenge" video he saw on YouTube in 2016, his stepfather had a warning for parents: "Watch what your kids are doing on the internet,"Jimmy Daugherty told CBS 17".
Doctors with IU Health say they're starting to see more of these so-called internet challenges land people in the emergency room.
'To see my baby, all burned up like that, it was heart breaking, ' Andrea told the station.
"It's suggesting to people that they can try it and they won't be hurt, but they will be. I can guarantee it", Dr. Ed Bartkus, the EMS director at Methodist Hospital in Indiana. "Don't take it overboard".
Kyland Clark, 15, says he'll be back out shooting hoops soon, but for now, he is still wearing the scars of a risky internet challenge. Thoughts echoed by Kyland and Andrea Clark, who say, for now, they're just glad Kyland is on the road to recovery. His doctors are hopeful that pigment will return in Clark's face within a few months.
- Julie Chen addresses allegations against husband Leslie Moonves on ‘The Talk’
- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho lashes out at 'baseball' referees
- #InMyFeelingsChallenge: Florida Man Hit By Car Doing "In My Feelings" Challenge
- Lewis Hamilton wins Hungarian Grand Prix to extend Championship lead
- What now for Joseph Parker?
- Google Pixel 3 XL leak shows the rumoured 2018 Android heavyweight
- Manafort earned $60M from Ukrainian consulting work, prosecutors say
- McDonald's Mints MacCoin to Mark Big Mac's 50th Anniversary
- Mother and 5 kids killed in Michigan motel fire
- Tourists Killed in Apparent Attack in Tajikistan