The momentum behind the movement to ban plastic straws in cities across the country doesn't seem likely to slow any time soon, especially in California.
Banning straws and other plastics has become more commonplace in many municipalities and businesses.
Why single out plastic straws, which make up less than four percent of the plastic waste stream?
Earlier this month, a ban on plastic straws took effect in Seattle.
Santa Barbara made national news as jail time was suggested for punishment for anyone breaking this ordinance.
'We couldn't be happier that they voted to pass them and support clean water and to help decrease single-use plastic pollution, ' Penny Owens, the education and community outreach director with environmental group Santa Barbara Channelkeeper, told KEYT.
"There was a time when there were no plastic straws, only paper. Probably the same people responsible for the ban on plastic bags". Disney eliminating plastic drinking straws may cause a bit more blowback, but the company is focused on being cleaner and more environmentally friendly.
Santa Barbara's ordinance is unique because it has no exemption for the disabled. The ordinance applies to food and drink consumed both on- and off-site. How many of these shortsighted folks have jumped on the bandwagon calling for bans on plastic water bottles and/or plastic straws?
They also reported a 41% reduction of the company's net greenhouse gas emissions in 2017, and a diversion of almost 50 percent of its waste from landfills and incineration, making "significant progress" on their long-term goal of net-zero emissions with zero waste.
While the city's new mayor, London Breed, struggles to get a handle on the city's public pooping problem, city supervisor Katy Tang described the straw ban as an example of how smug San Francisco "has been a pioneer of environmental change".
- 512GB Note 9 Model To Be Most Expensive Samsung Phone Ever
- Mueller is now investigating Trump’s tweets
- Unai Emery delivers positive update on Arsenal star’s contract talks
- Blood moon dazzles skygazers in centurys longest eclipse
- Date, timings and how to watch the blood moon
- Einstein’s supermassive black hole theory confirmed by team of international scientists
- Real Madrid make Eden Hazard decision due to Isco
- Water is buried beneath Martian landscape
- Zimbabwe Elections: We will win says opposition MDC
- Wildfire to close part of Yosemite National Park