While many local astronomers headed for the high hills and clear skies of the Drakensberg for the viewing, the eclipse was visible to anyone who had their eye on the moon.
Shrikrishna Science Centre failed to make arrangements for residents to see the century's longest lunar eclipse because of the event's timing and overcast conditions.
The hashtag #EclipseEating was also trending during the total lunar eclipse described as a "supermoon" that occurred on January 31 this year. The eclipse is set to occur during North America's daytime, but will be visible in Australia, Asia, Africa, Europe, South America, and the Middle East.
"It's wonderful to have been able to see the eclipse with no protection, and hopefully it's inspired people to learn about astronomy".
Red light has a better chance of doing so because shorter wavelengths of light are scattered more efficiently by the molecules in our atmosphere and red has a relatively long wavelength. Join Miguel here as he takes us through his photograph "Total Lunar Eclipse of 2015".
Stargazers looked up in awe as the total eclipse lasted one hour, 42 minutes and 57 seconds, with the moon remaining red from 8.49pm to 10.13pm.
"And the density of dust increasing in the atmosphere can cause the moon to appear a particularly deep red, and indeed it has the same effect on our sunsets and sunrises". During this time, the shadow of the earth will be between the moon and the sun. The planet, which has been visible with the naked eye for more than a week, won't be as close to Earth for another 17 years. Less direct sunlight will reach the eastern (lower) side of the moon, and you may notice the moon dimming slightly from that side.
The biblical basis for blood moon prophecies is often traced to, a Bible verse that predicts, "The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes".
People looking through a telescope at a "blood moon" eclipse in Oloika town in Magadi, Kenya, on July 27, 2018. In 2003, Mars came closest to our planet in nearly 60,000 years. As the blood moon light up the night sky, some people believed it could actually bring about the end of the world.
- Public Service Commission revokes Charter merger agreement with Time Warner Cable
- Serena Williams feels discriminated: 'I do more drug tests than anyone'
- Blood Moon: When and where you can see it
- Man United's Shaw dismisses criticism over fitness, conditioning
- Serena claims discrimination over drug tests
- Trump touts economic growth
- Resident Evil 2 won't feature VR support, and here's why
- More brands dump Sondos Alqattan as Kuwait social media star remains defiant
- Klopp shrugs off Mourinho jibe, Latest Football News
- New law allows victims of domestic violence in New Zealand paid leave