There are no West Nile vaccines licensed for use in humans, and no medications to cure West Nile disease once a person is infected by a mosquito.
Elk Grove, the Pocket and communities south of Fruitridge Road are scheduled for aerial insectide sprayings as part of the Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito and Vector Control District's plan to reduce the risk posed by West Nile virus.
An adult in Southeastern North Carolina has died of West Nile virus, the state Department of Health reported Friday.
North Carolina first reported West Nile virus in two people in 2002 and the first death from the infection in 2003, according to CDC data.
Belchik-Moser said previous year was down in terms of West Nile in Grant County. One in five people infected will develop a fever along with other symptoms like headache, body aches, joint pains, vomiting, diarrhea or rash.
Otaigbe said if you contract the West Nile Virus, not only can symptoms last a long period of time, but you can get the virus again. And in Yolo County, 7 mosquito samples and 6 dead birds have also tested positive.
Jim Erwin, a biologist with Indiana's Marion County Public Health Department, said residents should take steps beyond repellent to keep mosquitoes from biting.
The peak time of year for transmission of WNV, along with Delaware's other mosquito-borne disease of concern, Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), is from about mid-August into mid-October, officials noted, and during most years, evidence of WNV is first found upstate later in the season. Consider rescheduling outdoor activities that occur during evening or early morning. Mosquitoes lay their eggs on standing water. Empty containers and change water weekly in containers that can not be removed, such as bird baths, pet dishes and wading pools.
"One of the most important things people can do is to find and dump out any standing water they see inside and outside their homes so mosquitoes can't breed", said Elise Rothschild, director of the county Department of Environmental Health. Drill holes in tire swings so water drains out. "Wear long sleeve shirts, and trousers if you can".
Use an approved repellent according to its label.
- Dhadak: Janhvi Kapoor Says This Is The 'Biggest Compliment' For Her Film
- Hungary's Orban pledges 'zero tolerance' for anti-Semitism in Israel visit
- British Open 2018 Tiger Woods updates
- Syrian White Helmets: 800 Rescue volunteers evacuated to Jordan by Israel
- 'It's not too late to save Brexit', Johnson tells United Kingdom parliament
- Rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine hospitalized after he was pistol-whipped, kidnapped, robbed, TMZ reports
- Trump responds to Cohen taping: 'Your favourite president did nothing wrong'
- Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Twitter join Data Transfer Project
- Spieth part of 3-way tie for British lead as Woods lurks
- Khamenei Supports Blocking Region's Oil Exports If Iran's Exports Stopped