State health officials tell 10News he ate the oyster on July 8 and was pronounced dead 48 hours later.
Vibrio vulnificus is sometimes referred to as a "flesh-eating bacteria" but health officials say that label is misleading because it can not attack healthy skin. Sarasota had no cases in 2017, and had three confirmed cases of the bacteria and a single death from infection in 2016.
While Vibrio vulnificus is sometimes known as 'flesh-eating bacteria, ' the label is misleading because humans with healthy skin are not at risk.
The Department of Health confirmed the man's death to the South Florida Sun Sentinel.
Health officials often advise bathers who want to go swimming in lakes, beaches, or rivers not to enter the water if they have cuts or scrapes. You can get infected by eating raw shellfish, particularly oysters, or by exposing open wounds to seawater.
Another way of contracting the illness is from going into salt water with an open wound.
Last year, Manatee County had two cases of flesh eating bacteria and Sarasota County had none.
"Infections are rare but exposures occur more commonly during the summer months from May to October, when the water is warmer", department officials said in an email reply.
Infection by Vibrio vulnificus is characterized by fever, chills, decreased blood pressure and blistering skin lesions. If you have a compromised immune system, the bacteria can infect the bloodstream, causing "septicemia, which can cause severe or deadly infections in other parts of the body".
- Astronomers discover 10 new moons for Jupiter
- Donald Trump says he accepts intel that Russian Federation meddled in 2016 elections
- Trump Press Conference With Putin Sparks Bipartisan Ire
- Surprise stall for inflation raises questions over interest rate hike
- US launches five WTO challenges to retaliatory tariffs
- White House says ‘threat’ from Russian Federation still exists
- Heat warnings issued for Edmonton, much of Alberta
- Woods feared British Open visits were a thing of the past
- Russian Federation agrees to help with North Korea relationship, Trump says
- Trouble erupts in Paris following France's World Cup win