Tyce upped the ante in the act when he slipped a blindfold over his eyes and reached out to catch Mary - but missed her.
Perhaps more incredible is the fact Tyce is nearly legally blind due to a condition called Keratocunus, where the cornea becomes thin and disorts vision.
As Tyce hung upside down from the trapeze and prepared to catch his wife, who was balancing on his legs and the trapeze bar, he lost his grip.
Luckily, like all good trapeze acts, Tyce and Mary had taken some basic safety precautions and had a thick protective mat on the floor, softening the blow of her fall.
She and Tyce offered to do the stunt again but the judges were having none of it - adamant that Mary and Tyce had done more than enough to qualify for the live shows. Remarkably, she got up off the floor and smiled at the audience. As all this unfolded, Tyce watched from the air as his wife was injured until he could be brought to the ground safely.
The couple wanted to attempt the stunt again, but the judges would not allow it. The judges - including guest panelist Ken Jeong - and audience screamed and hid their faces.
"No, it's fine!" yelled Mel B.
America's Got Talent Act Goes Wrong: Acrobat Falls From Trapeze
And Jeong, who in addition to being an actor is also a licensed physician, told the duo, "It's not 'America's Got Perfection.' This is 'America's Got Talent.' No one can do this".
"I don't think there's ever been a singer on any of our competitions that's ever been note-perfect", he said. "It doesn't make them not awesome. The consequences on this are slightly worse than falling off key, whereas you almost broke your neck".
Mel: "Everything about it - the music, the suspense, the fire - just incredible!"
"You nearly got hurt very badly and your first thought was, 'Let me do that again, '" Howie Mandell said.
"We would like to try the blindfold trick one more time", Mary said.
America's Got Talent returns for its second night of Judge Cuts next Tuesday at 8 p.m. ET/PT on NBC.
- Labour demands investigation into Vote Leave ministers
- No Reason To Believe Russia Behind Election Meddling, Says Trump
- Trump Press Conference With Putin Sparks Bipartisan Ire
- Trump says Russian Federation isn't targeting U.S.; Sanders says comment was misinterpreted
- Russian Federation agrees to help with North Korea relationship, Trump says
- Adidas goes green; to use only recycled plastic by 2024
- Michelle Williams Checks Into Mental Health Facility For Depression
- Did Queen Elizabeth Snub President Trump By Wearing This Accessory?
- Night Shyamalan's Glass Released
- What does Avengers 4's 'definitive ending' mean for Captain America?