The Destiny's Child star posted a lengthy message that began with her past work as an advocate for "increasing awareness of mental health and empowering people to recognize when it's time to seek help".
On the talk show, she said she had suffered from depression since she was a teen, but didn't know there was a name for her condition-even when she was 25 and about to go on tour. "Today I proudly, happily and healthily stand here as someone who will continue to always lead by example as I tirelessly advocate for the betterment of those in need", the former Destiny's Child member continued. Last October, she shared on The Talk that she had been depressed since she was 13, but she didn't know until her 30s what was going on.
She said, "It got really, really bad ... to the point of I was suicidal".
She wondered how she could be unhappy while part of 'one of the top-selling female groups of all time'. Missy Elliott tweeted, "I want to lift our sis up in prayer because there are so many people battling this and many trying to deal with it alone".
In reality, just like the entertainer, many don't understand that depression is a mental illness and has no real correlation to what others perceive as a lack of success, money or any other thing that is usually associated with a happy life.
She told Destiny's Child's manager at the time, Mathew Knowles, about her depression.
"Michelle My Bell, I'm soo proud of you!"
- Angelique Kerber stuns Serena Williams to win maiden Wimbledon title
- Mobile adds $5 LTE worldwide data pass as free roaming spreads
- Rebels forward arrested after 'assault' on team-mate
- Mandela lecture: Five things Barack Obama said
- Jean Segura’s All-Star Game homer - and Nelson Cruz’s priceless reaction
- Trump says US-Russia relations ‘never worse’ ahead of meeting with Putin
- Boy rescued from Thai cave says moment of being found was 'miracle'
- South Africa's MeerKAT telescope snaps stunning shot of Milky Way center
- Liverpool agree £66m fee with Roma for Alisson — Twitter Reacts
- Pant receives maiden call-up for England Test series