It kicked off at noon Pacific time today, and lasts for 36 hours - promising more than one million deals exclusively for Prime members. Eastern time Monday, but declined significantly within a couple of hours, according to Downdetector.com, which monitors web trouble. We're not certain this is due to the same overload, but it does seem odd. It says customers bought more pencils, pens, notebooks, glue sticks, lunchboxes and backpacks on Prime Day last year than any other day of the year.
Germany is Amazon's second largest national market after the United States.
Spanish workers are on a three-day strike, while Polish workers will stage a work slowdown, known as work-to-rule, according to Reuters.
"I'm candidly shocked that they're not prepared for the traffic", Forrester analyst Sucharita Kodali told Bloomberg.
Some movies and TV shows will also have massive savings for Prime members, at 50% off. Amazon is even giving away a free PC game each day until July 18.
That means that while you have to wait for the best shopping deals, you do get basically a day and a half to take advantage of them.
Updates with more info on Feedvisor's estimates in the fourth paragraph.
"Everything we see points to their content distribution network, which is how they get product images and videos around the world quickly", Edwards said. Amazon's rising share price added around $50bn to Bezos' worth over the previous year and he's now worth more than Bill Gates was at the peak of his wealth in 1999, which would be around $149bn in inflation-adjusted dollars.
This week's strikes have also inspired widespread calls on social media platforms for shopper boycotts.
Some saw an error page featuring the "dogs of Amazon" and were unable to enter the site, while others could not enter specific product pages. But Amazon isn't the only place where people can find discounts. "It is a priority of Amazon to serve and keep our customers' delivery promises", said Etches, the Amazon spokeswoman.
- Usain Bolt in shock A-League move
- Prime Day 2018 outage is a huge, expensive headache for Amazon
- Google Phone app forwards spam calls to voicemail
- Novichok ‘was inside bottle of perfume’
- Brexit tensions as Tory rebels back a second referendum
- Meryl Streep and Cher among stars at premiere of Mamma Mia sequel
- Veteran actor Rita Bhaduri passes away at the age of 62
- Mbappe: I'm staying at PSG
- Stars rave about Sacha Baron Cohen's Who is America?
- Nickelodeon Reboots ‘Rugrats’ with a New Animated Series and Live-Action Movie