The White House announced the deal would save taxpayers $1.4 billion, as the cost will be a reduction from the initial $5 billion estimate for the new planes.
The current coloring dates back to the early 1960s, when President John F. Kennedy and First Lady Jackie Kennedy had industrial designer Raymond Loewy redesign the plane pro bono.
The presidential motorcade, which includes two identical limousines, nicknamed The Beast, and other security and communications vehicles, is brought across by US Air Force transport aircraft.
A report from the DC insider yentas at Axios suggests that President Donald Trump is considering a new "more American" look for Air Force One compared to its current pain job, which the president described as "Jackie Kennedy color". Per Axios, this "could cause friction" with Air Force officers who are content with the current paint job "known around the world".
Though Trump is commissioning the changes, he may not see them unless he is re-elected. Harry Truman left behind Roosevelt's nondescript "Sacred Cow" for the eye-catching "Independence", painted as an eagle.
So if you think your next weekend away involves a lot of planning, take a look at what the presidential entourage is made up of. But will his iconic ride soon be changing?
The president also reportedly requested the presidential bed on the new plane receive an upgrade from its couch-like sleeping quarters to a more comfortable arrangement.
- Natural disaster damage reveals older structure inside Mexico pyramid
- Woolworths recalls savoury rice after listeria outbreak in Europe
- Lawsuits alleging Roundup caused cancer can move forward
- Canada part of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation communique affirming defence spending target despite PM's remarks
- Netflix knocks HBO off its throne, as Emmy voters spread the wealth
- Why Meghan Markle isn’t travelling with a makeup artist in Ireland
- Vettel wins British GP in thrilling finish - British Grand Prix 2018
- Donald Trump 'fine' with protests as United Kingdom visit begins
- Area MPP leading Tory rollback of Ontario sex-ed curriculum
- MLB All-Star Futures Game 2018: Date, start time, rosters, how to watch