Some of TV's biggest stars, as well as headline-grabbing shows, failed to get nominations this year. And Bledel's "Gilmore" love interest Milo Ventimiglia is nominated for Best Drama Actor for "This is Us" for the second year in a row.
Add up all the award nominations and Netflix is now the top Emmy nominated "network", a term that we can now apply in the loosest of terms.
Netflix claiming the top spot at the awards this year isn't just about ousting HBO, it's a milestone for streaming services as a whole.
"Game of Thrones" may lead the pack with 22 Emmy nods this year, including one for Outstanding Drama Series, but Clarke and Harrington weren't among the recipients.
In the comedy categories, hip-hop themed FX show "Atlanta" is up against Amazon's (AMZN.O) "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel", ABC's (DIS.N) "black-ish", "GLOW", "Curb Your Enthusiasm", quirky comedy "Barry", tech comedy "Silicon Valley" and "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt".
The 70th Emmy Awards will telecast live from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, Sunday, September 17 (8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT) on NBC. It's a steep fall-off from there, although 13 networks or services garnered 10 or more nominations, reflecting the breadth of competition that now characterizes the Emmy race in the age of "peak TV".
- Cairo Explosion: Large Blast Hits Near Egypt Airport, Reports Say
- TicWatch Pro available now: why you’ll want one
- Dictionary.com Fact-Checks Forbes’ Claim That Kylie Jenner Is ‘Self-Made’
- Microsoft launches free Teams version, available worldwide in 40 languages
- Fiat staff to strike over Cristiano Ronaldo’s £88 million Juventus move
- Small plane crashes in Alaska, 11 rescued, Coast Guard says
- This Little-Known STD Could Become The 'Next Superbug' Within A Decade
- Anthony Bourdain earns posthumous Emmy nomination for 'No Reservations'
- Donald Trump 'fine' with protests as United Kingdom visit begins
- Natural disaster damage reveals older structure inside Mexico pyramid