The Conservative MP Michael Fabricant has apologised for tweeting a cartoon image of Sadiq Khan being mounted by an inflatable pig, after he was accused of Islamophobia.
This was apparently in response to Khan allowing a balloon to be flown in London depicting the president as a baby in a nappy.
Miqdad Versi, the assistant secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, has said that he is appalled at the picture tweeted by the Tory MP, and asks "What will @BrandonLewis do about #ToryIslamophobia?"
The MP subsequently deleted the image, claiming he had not realised the image was about Khan.
Fabricant later deleted the tweet, claiming he "did not see the detail on my small iPhone".
Apologising via a statement on Twitter, Fabricant said: "Because I was distracted in a meeting and saw it on a tiny iPhone screen, I didn't spot what it really was". This followed on from my remarks on TV about the hypocrisy of the anti-Trump demos and the ridiculous blimp.
Tory politician Sayeeda Warsi, the first Muslim woman to serve in the cabinet, said his tweet illustrated Islamophobia within the Tory party.
Wes Streeting MP said he had written to the Government Chief Whip asking for action to be taken.
Labour MP Stephen Doughty said called for Mr Fabricant to be suspended for sharing "this openly racist cartoon". "He may be a useless Mayor, but he's a nice guy whom I worked with when he was in Parliament".
Mr Fabricant insisted it had bee tweeted accidentally, saying he had removed it within minutes and that he would apologise to Sadiq Khan.
He added: "They are just flags from some of the countries where my company had clients back in the 1980s".
"Can't believe Mike Fabricant tweeted that vile, Islamophobic image of [London Mayor] Sadiq Khan - thought it was a spoof", Labour lawmaker Chuka Umunna tweeted. Tory members, the former chair of the party @SayeedaWarsi, and the @MuslimCouncil have all called for an inquiry into Islamaphobia (sic).
- Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee Reveal First Version-Exclusive Pokemon
- China's trade grows in June amid tensions with Washington
- Jose Mourinho Praises Manchester United Target
- Yerry Mina’s Agent: Mina Wants To Stay
- Putin sees Trump as "counterpart" at upcoming talks
- At least 70 people, including Balochistan Awami Party candidate, killed in blast
- Rejoice: We're Getting a DOWNTON ABBEY Movie
- Europe Is 'Losing Its Culture' Because Of Immigration
- Jury Bashes Johnson & Johnson With $4.7 BILLION Verdict in Talcum Powder Lawsuit
- Will Smith Delivers An Oscar-Worthy Video For The #InMyFeelingsChallenge