The Portuguese boss is keen to strengthen his defence and Alderweireld's arrival is likely to see one of Marcos Rojo or Victor Lindelof leave the club.
Of course, there are plenty of Red Devils players still in contention at Russian Federation too.
The Belgian did have a decent start to the World Cup but it all petered out as he could not take the national side to the final in Russian Federation.
Croatia became just the fifth team in World Cup history to have played extra-time and then overcome opponents who had not played an additional 30 minutes in their previous game.
At half-time, England are leading the Croatians 1-0 thanks to Kieran Trippier's sensational free-kick.
Anthony Martial, Matteo Darmian and Daley Blind have returned to training at Manchester United amid doubts over their futures at Old Trafford.
However, Real do have the money to spend and they will come aggressively for players this summer.
- Apple may be launching a mountain of new hardware in the fall
- Samsung Note 9 Release Date leaked
- Charles Oakley arrested in Las Vegas after allegedly cheating at casino
- Army vet and wife consider divorce to afford daughter's health care
- Microsoft launches free Teams version, available worldwide in 40 languages
- NATO Summit Overshadowed by Defense Spending Spat
- AT&T to overhaul HBO, add more original content
- This Is the Most Tender Photo of the World Cup So Far
- Pace of rising home prices slowed in Q2
- Fiat staff to strike over Cristiano Ronaldo’s £88 million Juventus move