The move seems created to attract more attention to the Unreal Marketplace and away from competing asset clearinghouses like the Unity Asset Store, Game Dev Market, TurboSquid, and others that offer creators an industry-standard 70 percent (or less) of the total sale price to creators.
"Thanks to both the Marketplace's growth and the success of Fortnite, Epic now conducts a huge volume of digital commerce", Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney said in a statement.
Up until now, Epic Games has taken a huge chunk of developers' profits because of the agreement that developers have when making games using Unreal Engine. 3D modellers, sound designers, animators and more can upload their assets to the store, and those assets can then be purchased by game developers.
Season 5 recently launched, with all new characters, settings and more across the maps.The new season also brings with it some gameplay changes, with temporal rifts catapulting players all around the map and gold buggies to help reach destinations quicker being two of the chief additions.
Epic Games is having a very good year, and the company is sharing the good fortune with its partners.
There have been more than 1 million downloads of the free Paragon assets to date, representing $300 billion in total value to the development community.
This creator-friendly move was also made possible by the success of the Unreal Engine Marketplace, which has experienced an increase of 30% in active sellers in the first half of 2018. Further, the increase will apply to past purchases as well, meaning retroactive payments will be issued to creators- a generous move sure to be appreciated by developers of the Marketplace's assets.
Unreal Engine 4 has seen an increase of more than one million users since March 2018.
There have been nearly eight million downloads from the marketplace since 2014. Epic's Unreal Marketplace now has more than 5,000 products from 1,500 creators.
- Rejoice: We're Getting a DOWNTON ABBEY Movie
- Obama loses millions of followers in Twitter purge
- Game of Thrones racks up 22 Emmy nominations
- Barcelona sign Lenglet from Sevilla for £32m
- Putin sees Trump as "counterpart" at upcoming talks
- Major League Baseball suspends deal with Papa John's after founder uses n-word
- 'Bad Girls Club' star arrested for debit card theft
- Malankara Orthodox Church priest held on rape charge
- Industrial park blast kills at least 19 in China
- Historic towers at Cape Canaveral launch pad demolished