The film company says they are now in talks with "senior officials in Thailand both on provincial and national levels".
The story of the Thai boys lost and found and finally rescued has all the makings of a Hollywood drama, capped with a happy outcome, and film companies are scrambling to buy their story. The company is also in talks with multiple studios that have shown interest in this project. "No way. Not on our watch", he wrote. The news follows the announcement from Pure Flix Entertainment that they too were seeking the rights to make a movie about the mission. "That won't happen or we'll give them hell", Chu tweeted, adding it's "a attractive story" about human beings saving other human beings.
In a follow-up tweet, the 38-year-old Asian-American director said he "couldn't just sit here watching how others would "interpret" this important story". "So anyone thinking [about] the story better approach it right & respectfully".
The near three-week ordeal prompted an global rescue effort.
Ivanhoe Pictures president John Penotti stated on Wednesday that his production company was selected by the Thai government to produce a film about the 12 Thai soccer players and their coach trapped in a cave after a flash flood in the area. Besides "Crazy Rich Asians", their upcoming projects include the three-part series "Ghoul" - premiering August 24 on Netflix - and the film "La Caja", developed in partnership with Mexico City-based Lucia Films. Chu is repped by UTA and Artists First.
- NATO Summit Overshadowed by Defense Spending Spat
- Jose Mourinho reiterates admiration of Ivan Perisic following World Cup semi-final
- Eden Hazard's camp make contact with Barcelona over possible transfer
- Dictionary.com Fact-Checks Forbes’ Claim That Kylie Jenner Is ‘Self-Made’
- Emily Ratajkowski Flaunts Her Massive, Two-Stoned Engagement Ring
- LeBron James Sells Movie Script, Might Star In It
- Small plane crashes in Alaska, 11 rescued, Coast Guard says
- Russia Sends Cargo to Space Station With Record Speed
- German court says Carles Puigdemont extradition is permissable
- Update your Instagram to use the new Questions sticker