A north Texas couple is considering a divorce to help pay for their daughter's health care costs.
The couple said paying for Brighton's treatment with a single salary of $54,000 is hard and are now considering divorcing so Ms Grey would become a single mother-of-two. Jake and Maria Grey have been married for nine years, and their 6-year-old daughter Brighton has Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome. Even with health insurance, the Greys spend upwards of $15,000 a year out of pocket on her health care. That's more than 30 percent of their annual income. "I used to get anxiety just opening the mail", said Maria on WFAA, saying she always anxious about what medical bills would come.
Jake Grey reportedly makes about $40,000 a year, meaning his family doesn't qualify for Medicaid.
Because of that the Greys are considering a divorce, so that Maria Grey becomes, at least under the law, a single, unemployed mother of two little children - and, thus, eligible for Medicaid.
"We promised to each other and to her that we'd do whatever we could do to make her life, however long she's going to be with us, as good as possible", Maria explained. The couple said it may be the only way the family could get the help they need to care for Brighton.
'We just have struggled and struggled with it.
"It's drowning us to try to keep up with her medical expenses", Jake Grey said.
Describing the situation his family finds itself in as "morally wrong", he added, "For someone to kind of make you choose between your marriage and your child is just-it's just a really weird spot to be in".
The happily married couple are now contemplating getting a divorce because they agreed that their children's needs come first. "We don't want a GoFundMe, we don't want any of that", Maria Grey said. But they're considering a divorce, for the sake of one of their kids.
Maria Grey said caring for Brighton was a blessing in many ways, but in others, it amounts to a major cause of financial and psychological stress. "I need the state to step up and give us the benefits that we need".
"She is a pure and handsome soul", Maria said.
- Republicans mull holding former Federal Bureau of Investigation lawyer Lisa Page in contempt
- Emily Ratajkowski Flaunts Her Massive, Two-Stoned Engagement Ring
- Sacha Baron Cohen's U.S
- India approved strong net neutrality rules
- German court says Carles Puigdemont extradition is permissable
- Justice Dept reopens investigation into Emmett Till’s lynching murder
- This Is the Most Tender Photo of the World Cup So Far
- Apple may be launching a mountain of new hardware in the fall
- Eden Hazard's camp make contact with Barcelona over possible transfer
- Sonos Adds AirPlay 2 Support to Certain Speaker Models