Isner's semifinal match is scheduled for 7 am Dallas time on Friday and can be watched on ESPN.
As a result, where wasn't much aesthetics involved and the longest rally during the whole match was nine shots but both men had their moments of brilliance, with Anderson impressing with some of his backhand winners.
This put the 32-year-old Anderson in a good spot as Federer was not playing on his favourite Centre Court. But once upon a time he starred at Page High and became an NCAA All-American player at Georgia.
Anderson saved three break points in the third game of the first set before Isner had to save a set point in the 10th.
Those named Kevin Anderson are being offered a free "victory feast" for them and two friends - in honour of his three-set victory.
It was a similar tale in the fourth set where the South African broke for 3-2 only to hand the break straight back.
After each of his service games, Isner was one game away from the win, which was likely more agonizing than helpful, especially as Anderson continued to pummel aces and winners to bring things back even.
While one might think that such a closely fought match was an enthralling display of athleticism, as the game teetered back and forth in the fifth set, the opposite was true.
With a spot in the Wimbledon final on the line, the two power players beat each other to a standstill in a match that stretched nearly seven hours.
American tennis player John Isner lost to Kevin Anderson in a record-setting semifinal at Wimbledon that lasted over six hours on Friday.
After taking out Roger Federer in remarkable fashion, 2017 US Open runner-up Anderson was forced to go the distance once again and he triumphed in remarkable fashion.
Nadal and Djokovic will battle for Sunday's final on the same court at 4pm.
- Shaqiri having medical ahead of £13m Liverpool move
- Eradicate rats to bolster coral reefs
- SC slams Centre for "lethargy" in protecting Taj Mahal
- China Reaches Top 20 in Global Innovation Index
- Jose Mourinho Praises Manchester United Target
- Maryland Among Worst States For Retirement — Bankrate Survey
- The Rock reveals why he's delaying his USA presidential bid
- Wimbledon 2018 -- Kevin Anderson wins men's semifinal match
- At least 70 people, including Balochistan Awami Party candidate, killed in blast
- ‘Downton Abbey’ movie is officially happening with series cast to return