The England Test captain was dropped for the first time in any format in four years when Ben Stokes returned for the final Twenty20 global against India in Bristol and finds himself at a short-form crossroads.
Paul Farbrace, who was in charge of England for all four of their Twenty20 matches against Australia and India, admitted he was protecting Root when he said earlier in the Vitality series that he would not be dropped.
England opener Alex Hales has been ruled out of the first match of the three-match ODI series against India. It's a great opportunity for us to play a strong Indian team who will pose different challenges to what Australia did at the start of the summer.
The series will also enable Indian team management to mix and match the various combinations, keeping World Cup in mind. Since the World Cup, English has accumulated 300-plus scores 31 times in 69 matches, including 23 wins.
India: Virat Kohli (Capt.), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, K.L. Rahul, M.S. Dhoni (wk), Dinesh Karthik, Suresh Raina, Hardik Pandya, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Shreyas Iyer, Siddarth Kaul, Axar Patel, Umesh Yadav, Shardul Thakur and Bhuvneshwar Kumar.
While England will welcome back the previously rested Mark Wood - Jake Ball, like Hales, is expected to miss out on his home ground - and the head coach, Trevor Bayliss, will be resuming duties after a break, India's attack has been depleted by Jasprit Bumrah's finger injury and Bhuvneshwar Kumar suffering from a stiff back. England have been one of the finest 50 over sides in recent times and India will have their task cut against a batting line-up comprising Jos Buttler, Jason Roy, Alex Hales, Jonny Bairstow and Eoin Morgan.
The three-match ODI series will start on Thursday (12 July), and the first match of the tournament will be played at Trent Bridge, Nottingham. Moreover, the top spot in the ICC ODI rankings is also at stake with England now in top spot with India close behind in second.
The India v/s England 1st ODI cricket match will be played at Trent Bridge.
Where can one watch India vs England, 1st ODI match live streaming? It will also air on Sony Ten 3 & Sony Ten 3 HD in Hindi commentary.
Coverage: Ball-by-ball Test Match Special commentary on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra, Radio 4 LW, online, tablets, mobiles and BBC Sport app.
- Nurse accused of tampering with drips at hospital, killing dozens of people
- London pub renames itself The Trump Arms ahead of presidential visit
- Cotton: Democrats’ Opposition to Kavanaugh a ‘Laughable Political Game’
- One fantastic photo with Trump and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation leaders says it all
- Kim Jong-un blows off Mike Pompeo to look at potato farm
- ‘We’re not prisoners’: German FM berates Trump for ‘Russia captives’ remark
- British woman exposed to Novichok nerve agent dies
- Thailand's Tham Luang cave to become museum to showcase boys' rescue
- Former UCLA basketball star found dead after recording heartbreaking video
- Kane says England defeat will hurt for a long time