That's because for 66 of his 82 years, Chillal, of Pune, India, has been growing the longest fingernails ever recorded on a single hand, his left. But why did Shridhar grow them so long in the first place?
They flew Chillal from Pune to NY to cut his nails and memorialise them forever in the museum.The museum will host a "nail clipping ceremony" today where Chillal's nails will be cut.
Over the years his lifelong ambition has left him handicapped, with atrophy curtailing his left-hand movement. Chillal's longest single nail is his thumbnail, measuring 197.8 centimeters.
It's the end of an era for the man who holds the world record for Longest Fingernails on One Hand.
Shridhar's nails will now be displayed at Ripley's Believe It or Not! in Times Square. The 14-year-old then chose to take up a challenge to see how long he could go without trimming his nails. The teacher said Chillal would never understand the attention to detail and level of care required to take care of long fingernails. He is also a Guinness World Record holder for having grown the nails on his left hand for more than 66 years.
Chillal carved out a living for himself as a photographer, using a custom camera that allowed him to shoot one-handed.
There were other reasons why Chillal was willing to cut away an important part of his life: The collective weight of the nails has made it impossible for Chillal to open his hand from a closed position or flex his fingers.
I am in pain. "With every heart beat all five fingers, my wrist, elbow and shoulder are hurting a lot and at the tip of the nail there's a burning sensation always".
His nails will be on display for all to see at Ripley's Believe It or Not! in Times Square.
- US ambassador plays down Trump's UK in 'turmoil' comment
- Thailand Cave Rescue Saves 8 Children Trapped For Weeks Underground
- Donald Trump says North Atlantic Treaty Organisation members will ‘substantially’ increase defence spending
- Did England attempt to score while Croatia celebrated second goal?
- Meghan Markle's Sleek Suit Will Look Familiar To Royal Fans
- Better Chairman. Better Company. Papa John's: Founder Resigns Over Racial Slur
- How women in Iran are dancing their way to an online revolution
- I am one of the world's best, says Lovren
- Canadian breastfeeding advocates alarmed by USA opposition to United Nations resolution
- Things to look forward to in England vs India ODI series