Despite Kieran Trippier giving England an early lead, Croatia clawed their way back into the game and edged past Southgate's side after extra time.
ESPN's Charlie Gibson takes in all the action and fanfare in Moscow as England's World Cup journey comes to an end at the hands of Croatia. The two teams played in the final group stage match with reserves, with Belgium winning 1-0 and earning placement into the tougher side of the knockout bracket as a result.
A packed stadium provided an intense World Cup atmosphere for the game, after thousands of England and Croatia fans had flown into the Russian capital.
"Hold your heads high": The Telegraph focuses on the positives of England's run and Kane's insistence that "this is just the start".
"In the first half, give them credit they did play relatively well, in the second half, bottle jobs. I feel disappointed but proud".
"We were planning to leave, but now we have to stay until Monday", said Sinisa Pavlek, a Croatian living in Germany as he emerged from the stadium with a broad smile on his face.
"We are deservedly in the final", Croatia coach Dalic said. "Everybody has come. It's the best feeling in a long time".
Travelling fan Joe Settle, 62, and his son Andrew, from Bolton, said they couldn't miss the chance to see England in the semi final.
Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren hit out at the English media after Croatia's World Cup semifinal win against England. But when you've got to this point and played as well as we have. you want to take these opportunities in life. It's a terrible way to go out of the World Cup.
'This time the fans are still out their now, so it's a lot better to leave like this although we would have like to leave in even better conditions'.
- Croatia stun England in extra time to book first-ever final berth
- France final special for Croatia's Perisic
- Everything you need to know about the Thai youth soccer team rescue
- As tempting as supplemental draft prospects are, Rams should pass
- Nurse accused of tampering with drips at hospital, killing dozens of people
- Nevada Execution Halted on Drugmaker's Lawsuit
- One fantastic photo with Trump and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation leaders says it all
- Ex-Bengal Adam 'Pacman' Jones attacked by employee at Atlanta airport
- Queen Elizabeth celebrates 100 years of UK's Royal Air Force
- Canada, U.S. express concern at North Atlantic Treaty Organisation over Russian pipeline into Germany