Kerber, who spent 34 weeks at world number one in 2016 and 2017, could be set for a rematch with Williams if the seven-time champion can get past Julia Goerges in the second semi-final. Ostapenko, who has a volatile game, finally broke Kerber's serve in the second set, but by that point she was already down 1-5 and it wasn't enough. "These are the matches I was working for as a kid and to be in the final at Wimbledon is great".
Ostapenko, 21, had admitted she cracked under the strain of defending the French Open title when she lost in the first round last month.
Williams was back giving the crowd a one-arm raised victory twirl after reaching a 10th Wimbledon final after her opponent swiped a lob behind the baseline.
"It is such a great feeling to be back in the final and to play on Centre Court is always a great experience", said Kerber.
And the first Latvian woman to make the Wimbledon semi-finals was paying the price for more rash mistakes as the match slipped away.
Williams is playing in her fourth tournament and her second Grand Slam since missing more than a year with her pregnancy, but you'd never know it looking at her.
It took Kerber two tries to serve out the victory, getting broken to 5-2.
Though she composed herself at the start of the second, a drop-shot agonisingly clipped the net before dropping back onto her own side as Williams clinched the break. She missed the 2017 tournament as she was pregnant with her daughter Alexis Jr., who was born on September 1 of that year.
That mentality shifted slightly when Williams dropped her first set of the championships in the quarter-finals against Camila Giorgi and following the stunning exit of overwhelming men's favourite Roger Federer yesterday, which proved the unthinkable can happen.
At 36 years and 291 days, Serena hopes to become the third oldest female Grand Slam finalist in the Open era.
Williams is also chasing the chance to equal Margaret Court's record of 24 Grand Slams singles titles.
The 30-year-old was gifted point after point as Ostapenko's aggressive game backfired in a blaze of unforced errors.
- Happy 10th Birthday, Apple App Store!
- Opponents hope a MeToo link will derail Kavanaugh nomination
- What Melania Trump will be doing in London
- London awaits Trump's visit, braces for protests
- Meet The Girlfriend Of France Star Kylian Mbappe
- US ambassador plays down Trump's UK in 'turmoil' comment
- Man who's been growing his fingernails since 1952 has finally cut them
- Donald Trump says North Atlantic Treaty Organisation members will ‘substantially’ increase defence spending
- Gareth Southgate says England shed is 'a hard place'
- Trump Says 'No Problem' In NATO, Touting Allies' Spending Pledges