Trippier's set piece on five minutes was England's 12th at Russian Federation 2018, more than any other Three Lions side.
Vancouver's Croatian community is buzzing in the wake of the country's World Cup semifinal victory against England on Wednesday.
But Croatia came out for the second-half on top of the Three Lions, and equalised with a goal from the outstanding Ivan Perisic.
England captain Harry Kane was heartbroken after the loss but admitted that England had paid the price for being too passive in the second half after a bright opening 40 minutes.
"We got some control back in extra time and showed some more composure". I thought they played well and made it hard for us.
"It hurts. I don't know what else to say".
Croatia is into the World Cup final!
However, they have taken a gruelling route to the final and the French will be warm favourites.
Croatia's best chance of the half came in the 31st minute when Modric squared back to Rebic inside the box but his left foot shot was saved by Pickford. There will be legitimate questions about how much they have left in the tank.
What is not in doubt is their quality. It is highly unlikely the first trophy in your career is going to be the World Cup.
As well as scoring, Perisic also hit the post for the second straight game and set up Mandzukic's victor, heading a poor clearance toward the Juventus striker to score.
Mandzukic alertly reacted to the unexpected ball in the penalty area, splitting defenders John Stones and Harry Maguire, who had taken four short steps up.
Tottenham Hotspur striker Kane paid tribute to Croatia, led by Real Madrid's Luka Madrid in the center midfield, and conceded that the "small margins" that make such a big difference didn't go his side's way on the night.
Kieran Trippier's early free kick gave them the lead, but Ivan Perisic pushed the match into an additional period, in which Mario Mandzukic became the decisive factor.
Midfielder Modric said the team had been motivated by people saying they would be "tired" after their previous two matches went to penalty shootouts.
England and Belgium clash at the Krestovsky Stadium Stadium in Saint Petersburg on Saturday, one day before the World Cup final between France and Croatia on Sunday.
The players applauded and thanked the travelling supporters in Moscow after the match but the fans didn't stop making noise there.
- Hailey Baldwin Bought Justin Bieber His Own Engagement Ring!
- Everything you need to know about the Thai youth soccer team rescue
- Trump's Harsh Words For NATO Meet With Pushback From Republicans And Democrats
- Queen Elizabeth celebrates 100 years of UK's Royal Air Force
- As tempting as supplemental draft prospects are, Rams should pass
- Thailand's Tham Luang cave to become museum to showcase boys' rescue
- Kane says England defeat will hurt for a long time
- London pub renames itself The Trump Arms ahead of presidential visit
- May clings to power amid Brexit resignation turmoil
- Trump administration announces $US200 billion in extra China tariffs