A summer version of rookie acquisition presents itself Wednesday in the form of the supplement draft, held annually for prospects who did not enter the regular draft in April but have since submitted their names and plan to play this season. Of the defensive backs available in this Supplemental Draft, I think he has the most natural ability to find the ball late in the down.
If the Colts believe that roster building is indeed something that happens 12 months a year, Chris Ballard might make a move in the usual quiet month of July.
- What really matters: Beal was forced to leave Western Michigan due to academic ineligibility.
At least two national experts don't expect the Lions to participate in the draft.
Additionally, the Chiefs did not select Adonis Alexander, who the team spoke with following his pro day. Nonetheless, both players are viewed as guys that teams could give up a top-three round pick in the Supplemental Draft.
With the selection of Beal, the Giants will forfeit their third-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, leaving them with five total picks. So, there's definitely a connection between the player and team. Beal has more trouble dealing with receivers going inside on him, but his recovery speed is good and he's able to make up ground and break on plays. But most years see no players selected. For example, Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon signed a four-year, $5.3 million contract when he was selected in the second round of the 2012 Supplemental Draft. It's not known whether Giants cornerback Janoris Jenkins' recent incident involving an acquaintance who was murdered at his residence - Jenkins' brother has been charged with manslaughter - had any bearing on the Beal selection.
NY used a first-round pick on Duke quarterback Dave Brown in 1992 and a fourth-round pick on Northeast Louisiana defensive back Tito Wooten in 1994.
The Player: Beal is another corner with good size and length, measuring at nearly 6-1 and 178 pounds with over a 72-inch wingspan.
The Washington Redskins selected Alexander with pick No. 20 in the sixth round of the National Football League supplemental draft. If they had to use a second round pick to claim Beal in the supplemental draft, they would still have a pick in every early round to work with next spring. He started 23 of 37 games and concluded his career with 96 tackles (68 solo), two interceptions and 21 passes defensed. At 6-1 and 205 pounds, he is undersized for a linebacker, even for one in a Tampa-2, 4-3 defense like the Colts'.
As a recruit: A high three-star in the Class of 2014, Bryant was pretty quiet as a recruit a made a commitment to Mississippi State over Southern Miss near the end of his senior season. Watching him on film, I think he has tools to develop into a starting safety if he gets a bit better with his eyes. That turn of events angered several other teams and directly led to a change in the way the Supplemental Draft is conducted.
- Trump administration threatens tariffs on another $200 billion in Chinese imports
- Comcast fires new salvo in £26bn battle for Sky
- Novak Djokovic breaks Kei Nishikori's resistance to reach Wimbledon semis
- British woman exposed to Novichok nerve agent dies
- Photographer gets caught up in Croatia's celebration... and then receives a kiss
- Compensation sought for Australians caught up in Facebook privacy breach
- Del Potro sets up Nadal clash at Wimbledon
- Former UCLA basketball star found dead after recording heartbreaking video
- Astros option Ken Giles to Triple-A Fresno
- England V. Croatia, Winner Will Play France