The 21-year-old Zverev, meanwhile, continues to underperform at tennis four biggest tournaments relative to his success at other events.
"And I think that kept being in the back of my mind".
Stefanos Tsitsipas became the first Greek man in the Open era to make the last 16 of a Slam as the 31st seed beat Italian qualifier Thomas Fabbiano 6-2, 6-1, 6-4.
Deep down, however, the No 4 seed knew the game was up long before his 7-6 (2), 4-6, 5-7, 6-3, 6-0 defeat after the effects of a stomach bug ripped all the energy from his body.
"It's a closed court..."
"Today, I was returning much better, as I said, because it was brighter".
"But then I thought, Well, if I don't feel well, it's going to be one set". "I feel 100 percent comfortable with contacts". I mean, the way he plays. I asked the chair umpire how is it possible he plays that shot if it didn't bounce twice. After the second set, I actually went to throw up during the toilet break, which then I felt a little bit better. "I don't think I did a good job of keeping in the moment and playing the person who was in front of me". I tried to move him more.
Three-time victor Novak Djokovic made the last 16 of a Slam for the 44th time with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 win over Kyle Edmund, the last remaining Briton.
"What can I do?"
"I'm in the tournament".
His win on Saturday was his third successive five-setter having also played three matches in qualifying.
Rodina now faces and even tougher American challenge in meeting seven-time Wimbledon champion Serena Williams in the fourth round next week.
Following early exits for Swiss 16th seed Borna Coric and Canadian world number 25 Denis Shapovalov, Zverev's win was a boost for the group of young prodigies branded the sport's "NextGen" stars by the ATP.
He added: "Yesterday I had pain during the whole three sets. We were both struggling to be honest, it helped him to reach the tiebreak".
"I'm very calm. I try to find ways to win".
- Croatia plots 'football Brexit' as England FIFA World Cup semi looms
- N.J. man infected with flesh-eating bacteria while crabbing, could lose limbs
- Apple's Taiwanese flag ban leads to iPhone crashes
- Kylie Jenner Covers Forbes Magazine Women Billionaires Issue
- Chinese tariffs on United States goods take effect at start of July 6
- Trump blasts Germany at NATO: 'Totally controlled' by Russian Federation
- Palestinians to keep paying prisoner stipend despite…
- 'It's terrible': Stunned Federer feeling low after Wimbledon shock
- Cardi B Welcomes Baby Girl - Check Out Her Unique Name!
- Indians had costly bullpen miscommunication in loss