U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday pushed back against court rulings against his administration's migrant detention policies, saying immigrants should not come to the United States illegally.
Though Trump signed an executive order on reuniting families last month, the government missed a court-mandated deadline of Tuesday to reunify about 100 children under the age of five with their parents. "That's the solution. Don't come to our country illegally. Come like other people do, come legally". "That's the solution", Trump told reporters at the White House a day after a US federal judge rejected long-term detention of illegal immigrant children. That's the solution: Don't come to our country illegally.
Pressed on whether his "solution" was to punish children for being brought to the USA illegally by adults, Trump retreated to more general comments. "It's not a good thing".
They are among more than 2,300 children who have been removed from their parents at the border because of the administration's immigration policies.
The family-separation issue has prompted protests around the country against the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency. There is nobody under greater danger than the people from ICE. "Democrats want open borders, and they don't mind crime". We don't want crime and we want borders where borders mean something. And remember this: "Without borders, you do not have a country".
In some cases, the lawyer said, parents have been deported or are in jail facing criminal charges, requiring more time for reunification.
- Chelsea star Eden Hazard says joining Real Madrid is every player's dream
- Ronaldo signs for Juventus
- Starbucks is ditching plastic straws
- Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrive in Ireland on first worldwide trip
- Incredible operation in pictures: All 12 boys, coach rescued from Thailand cave
- Trump to Announce His Supreme Court Nominee Tonight
- Eight boys brought safely out of flooded Thai caves in two days
- Illinois cop on desk duty after dispute over Puerto Rican shirt
- Kylie Jenner Reveals She ''Got Rid'' of Her Famous Lip Fillers
- Tour de France: Chris Froome gains on rivals as jeering fades