The shark grabbed her and took her under the water.
While in the water, Zarutskie, who is from California and heading to college in Miami, had her boyfriend's dad take photos of her surrounded by the sharks, which have become a local tourist attraction. The group passed an area in the ocean where several nurse sharks were swarming, and since it was promoted that swimming with these creatures was a safe and normal activity in the area, Katarina chose to hop in and get some photos (Note: a warning sign by the pool of sharks clearly stated that the animals "can and do bite" on occasion). Her boyfriend's father took several photos throughout the attack, capturing the exact moment that Zarutskie came in contact with the 5-foot-long shark.
While in the Staniel Cay area in the Exuma islands last month, Katarina Zarutskie chose to go swimming with a pack of nurse sharks.
"My boyfriend's family was freaking out when I went to swim with the sharks and I was like, 'It's fine, '" Zarutskie said. She quickly realized it was best to pull her arm out of the water so blood wouldn't attract more of the creatures, and she was able to get to safety before any more damage was done. She jumped into the water on her own, without any sort of tour guide.
The University of Miami student visited a local clinic following the incident, but chose to fly back to Florida the next day after learning shark bites carry a high risk of infection. "I am so fortunate that I still have my arm and my life".
A Perth woman was also attacked by nurse sharks last month with vision of the attack caught on camera. While feeding a small group, Melissa Brunning was dragged into the water by her finger before breaking free.
Would she swim with sharks again? "I saw it as an opportunity for me, another chance to connect with nature". She went to the hospital to get treatment for her infected wounds.
- Facebook to be fined £500,000 over data breaches
- Israel plans to launch moon mission on SpaceX rocket this year
- George Clooney is 'recovering' after scary scooter accident in Italy
- JetBlue crew rescues dog in distress with oxygen mask
- World's Ugliest Dog Zsa Zsa Passes Away
- England Have Been Warming Up With Rubber Chickens Ahead Of Croatia
- Jurgen Klopp sends Loris Karius Liverpool FC message
- Golf roundup: Na takes 5-stroke win at Greenbrier
- Kylie Jenner addresses her 'insecurities' on daughter Stormi's lips
- Thai PM thanks people involved in cave rescue